Geocoin Awards?

~tasia~

There was a post in Anthus' thread about if there were geocoin awards, that his would be first place.

I'm wondering if we could pull together and maybe have an annual Geocoin Award event. A lot of us will be at GW5, so I'm thinking that we might be able to have it on that Sunday, with special geocoins for the winners. Different category examples : best shaped, best round, best geocaching related, etc...

Anyway, I don't know if there would be interest, but I think this would be an interesting idea. Even if it wouldn't be its own event, it may be able to be incorporated into the Geocoin Fest of 2008.

Just looking for a little feedback I guess. Tell me what you think of it, it stinks, it rocks, don't care, etc.

Sounds like a good idea. But, how would you put it together? Would cachers nominate then everyone vote?Hmmm, decisions, decisions!

I think that would be the best. Have a set time frame for nominations, and then have the people of this forum vote based on the nominations or have a committee set up to vote for the final results.

but who knows if this can be done... i'm willing to try it though!

Who would select the participating coins? By nomination, or self submitted?

Would you have to be present at GW5 to participate? Some people might have family vacations other then GW5 planned for that weekend.

This geocoin forum community would nominate people either in a public post, or a PM/e-mail. I don't think it would be fair to nominate yourself. You would not have to be present to win a prize. The nominations would take place about a month and a half to two months before the event. It would not have to be held during GW5 weekend. Just a suggested time.

I do think that there should be a committee set up to decide award categories, etc.

considering the large numbers of coins that are released every month, perhaps smaller time frames should be considered besides yearly.

Also, there could be different categories, such as:

best personal/team coin (trackable and non-trackable)

best commercial coin (probably best to keep this category for trackables only)

most humorous

best use of special effects

best use of coin shape...(Rounds could still win)

pioneering coin.

best micro and pathtag categories could also be considered.

the most difficult part would be to find non-biased judges, and a way for them to discuss the winners. Perhaps a small group spearheads receiving the nominations, and they also randomly select a group of forums regulars (who are not currently nominated) and send them a private email with a voting form. If selected, they would keep their identity secret, even after the vote. The spearhead group would tally the votes independently and verify results.

The nominations could be done by anyone except the coin originator.

The quarterly winners could be the only submissions to a yearly award.

And what do the winners get? The satisfaction of being recognized by the community for their efforts.

considering the large numbers of coins that are released every month, perhaps smaller time frames should be considered besides yearly.

Also, there could be different categories, such as:

best personal/team coin (trackable and non-trackable)

best commercial coin (probably best to keep this category for trackables only)

most humorous

best use of special effects

best use of coin shape...(Rounds could still win)

pioneering coin.

best micro and pathtag categories could also be considered.

the most difficult part would be to find non-biased judges, and a way for them to discuss the winners. Perhaps a small group spearheads receiving the nominations, and they also randomly select a group of forums regulars (who are not currently nominated) and send them a private email with a voting form. If selected, they would keep their identity secret, even after the vote. The spearhead group would tally the votes independently and verify results.

The nominations could be done by anyone except the coin originator.

The quarterly winners could be the only submissions to a yearly award.

And what do the winners get? The satisfaction of being recognized by the community for their efforts.

Great idea ~tasia~. Well thought out response Jake - Team A.I. Not sure about it being quarterly as it would be a lot of work to go through each quarter.

Maybe someone should talk to Groundspeak and maybe a voting website could be setup and linked into Groundspeak so that people can vote through their profiles? Otherwise vote rigging may be an issue? And maybe account must be more than a few months old also to stop people running out and creating 20 new accounts to vote from? Just some thoughts...