Treasure Trail

Geoboss

As long as each cache is unique. Not just the same thing hidden over and over. And maybe something at each location that a person might want to see.

But if you are just going to walk down a path and start placing micros on everything....

park bench.....micro :D

sign...............micro :yikes:

fence post......micro :o

park bench.....micro :o

lamp post.......micro :rolleyes:

sign...............micro <_<

then I will tell you what my logs will be....TNLNSL

Just don't expect a TFTC :D

I was reading this thread when this summarized my thoughts exactly.

Thanks for saving me the extra typing!

I would do more multi's if the total distance and number of stages were published. I just don't like starting a multi where I dont' know if I have to go to 5 caches over 3 miles (something I won't do) or a half-mile hike with two or three stages.

For that reason especially I'd never do multi's on vacation.

So essentially, if you would pass on a multi, but would eagerly hunt a nearly identical power trail, you you're really in this for sport numbers and not the fun of the hunt. If that's your bag, that's fine, but I think those people whose only thought after finding a cache is where to go for their next smiley are missing out on so much.

Deductive fallacy. You presume to know all possible explanations and then narrow it down to the most likely. We like traditionals better than multi's, no matter whether they're in a power trail or not. Some of us just don't like being lead on a wild goose chase. We like to know what we're getting ourselves into before we get committed. Also, with traditionals I don't have to get the next one along the trail if I don't feel like it; no one is dangling the reward over my head to manipulate me into hiking the whole thing to get credit for part.

You don't have to find all the stages of the multi to have fun, do you? If so, then again its about the smiley and the numbers and not the fun of the hunt.

I've started many multis that I never finished, or where I came back later (sometimes years later) to finish. I still enjoyed the hunt. No, I didn't get the almighty smiley, but that didn't lessen my enjoyment of the hunt one iota.

So essentially, if you would pass on a multi, but would eagerly hunt a nearly identical power trail, you you're really in this for sport numbers and not the fun of the hunt. If that's your bag, that's fine, but I think those people whose only thought after finding a cache is where to go for their next smiley are missing out on so much.

Deductive fallacy. You presume to know all possible explanations and then narrow it down to the most likely. We like traditionals better than multi's, no matter whether they're in a power trail or not. Some of us just don't like being lead on a wild goose chase. We like to know what we're getting ourselves into before we get committed. Also, with traditionals I don't have to get the next one along the trail if I don't feel like it; no one is dangling the reward over my head to manipulate me into hiking the whole thing to get credit for part.

You don't have to find all the stages of the multi to have fun, do you? If so, then again its about the smiley and the numbers and not the fun of the hunt.

I've started many multis that I never finished, or where I came back later (sometimes years later) to finish. I still enjoyed the hunt. No, I didn't get the almighty smiley, but that didn't lessen my enjoyment of the hunt one iota.

I have to finish what I start to have fun. It isn't "fun" for me to leave something incomplete. It stems from having a mother who insisted that we children complete what we start. If we began the season on the baseball team, we completed the season, even if we were just sitting the bench. If we signed up for chorus, we went to all the rehersals and participated in all the concerts. We never let the team down. If we put our laundry in the washer, we saw to it the load went through the dryer and was hung up or folded and put away. It didn't seem like a big deal as a child because that is just what we did. It felt satisfying to know we had done our best and finished our part. That's been helpful to me as an adult, because by nature I desire to move on to something else when I get bored--but my employers will tell you I see to it that every task gets finished (even if that means I get someone else to do it!).

I never start a multi that I'm not pretty darn sure I can finish. That means I pass on the ones that have some unknown number of stages and no stated distance. I sometimes do the ones that tell me how many stages and about how many miles. We are taking a trip soon. There is one multi on the list. It has two stages and covers about 10 miles. Every other multi along the way was vague about either mileage or number of stages and so they have 'magically disappeared' from GSAK.

I prefer traditionals because I know I can finish them once I start them. Being finished might mean I DNF them, but it doesn't mean I walk away from them half done not knowing when or if I'll ever get back to them to do the other half. Of course, if a traditonal is near where I live, a DNF means I will go back to look again until I find them--for some reason that isn't the same to me as leaving them half done.

Doesn't have to be a power trail to attract me: "one traditional in the woods" is better to me any day than any multi of unknown time & number of stages.

I can see where you might feel differently. I suppose some people prefer to know they took on the mystery challenge and met it, so much they don't mind the times they have to give up. It just isn't my thing.

Edited by Neos2

Yeah, good one. I'll bet you get a kick out of making geocaches and then never placing or publishing them. When is an unfinished task ever satisfying?

Not completing a multi is like planning a vacation to DisneyLand and then turning around and going home before I get to LA. Sure, like the old ad line said "getting there is half the fun" - but that's not as good as "all the fun".

"So, how was your trip to DisneyLand?" "Great, we saw so many great sights on the way down: the Oregon Coast, the Redwoods, Napa Valley wineries, the Golden Gate bridge..." "But what did you think of DisneyLand?" "Never got there." :D