Uploading Waypoints Directly to GPS

Tidalist

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the site and geocaching in general - it is definitely addictive! Question on the technology-side...

I recently upgraded my membership to premium to support the site and take advantage of some of the additional features. I have a Garmin 60Cx GPS and use the Garmin MapSource software for adding waypoints, routes, etc. and transferring them to the GPS unit. To date, I've been copying and pasting waypoint coordinates from the Geocaching site into Mapsource to get them on my unit. I want to start downloading these directly from the site to my GPS. I see you have to download additional software to do this (like EasyGPS). Does anyone have recommendations on which software to use (there are a number of options listed), based on that I'm using Garmin software already? Also, how would that work? I imagine I would just be using the two different software sets at different times based on what my needs are? Any input/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

John

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the site and geocaching in general - it is definitely addictive! Question on the technology-side...

I recently upgraded my membership to premium to support the site and take advantage of some of the additional features. I have a Garmin 60Cx GPS and use the Garmin MapSource software for adding waypoints, routes, etc. and transferring them to the GPS unit. To date, I've been copying and pasting waypoint coordinates from the Geocaching site into Mapsource to get them on my unit. I want to start downloading these directly from the site to my GPS. I see you have to download additional software to do this (like EasyGPS). Does anyone have recommendations on which software to use (there are a number of options listed), based on that I'm using Garmin software already? Also, how would that work? I imagine I would just be using the two different software sets at different times based on what my needs are? Any input/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

John

I agree GSAK is the program to use. You might check out this little tutorial and the GSAK Support Forum. :D

I agree, GSAK is like Oxygen to me....I couldn't do without it!! BUT - the learning curve is steep. It appears complicated at first. I started out using EasyGPS then after I was comfortable with that and wanted more, I went to GSAK. Especially since I started paperless caching, which EasyGPS didn't support. With GSAK, I used the very basic capabilities it had at first, then as I was more comfortable with it, I began playing around with all the neat little functions it had - one new thing at a time.