Puzzle caches

f1shrmn

There is a wide variety of such caches and a lot of different ways to go about solving them. Use google to lookup some information on ciphers to get started. Also careful re-read the page and look for passages or phrases that are bit out of place. Dump pieces of the text into google and research the topic. Check pictures for extra text and embedded clues. Try to understand "why" the author placed everything on the page.

Then give up in total frustration and go find a tradtional cache so you feel better. :blink:

When doing puzzles look at the title. Most times this gives a clue to how to solve the puzzle. Some times they use the coordinates posted and add or minus numbers to find the real coordinates.

Puzzle caches are as varied as the owners. They can be easy or very hard. If you are new to Geocaching start with the straight forward caches first. This will get you used to looking in places where caches are hidden. It will make it easier when you get to a spot for a puzzle cache. If all else fails email the owner for clues.

Been doin this since the first of the year and just got my 100th find today.....and I didn't get them by going after puzzles. Finding caches period is enough of a puzzle for me. :blink: but I am sure I will try somtime later in my career.....then again maybe not :ph34r:

OK How does a newbie figure out how to do the caches that say cache is not at posted coordinates. Then there is a rambling story. and no obvious clues?

I recently asked a similar question in the forum and got a mixed bag of responses - most basically telling me that it's a puzzle and they're not going to help. This seems to be a sensitive topic in the forum for some members, though I'm not sure why. There's always those that forget that pasttimes such as this are supposed to just be for fun and learning. Anyways - I've done a lot of reading and research so pm me if you like and I'll relay what information I've managed to dig up.

.z

OK How does a newbie figure out how to do the caches that say cache is not at posted coordinates. Then there is a rambling story. and no obvious clues?

I recently asked a similar question in the forum and got a mixed bag of responses - most basically telling me that it's a puzzle and they're not going to help. This seems to be a sensitive topic in the forum for some members, though I'm not sure why. There's always those that forget that pasttimes such as this are supposed to just be for fun and learning. Anyways - I've done a lot of reading and research so pm me if you like and I'll relay what information I've managed to dig up.

.z

And you can see that people still don't give away the answers.

If you want a more in depth hint ask the owner of the cache.

I would never think of giving away the answer to a puzzle cache that you created, and all I ask is the same consideration.

I have several puzzle caches in this area that I haven't solved. Every now and then I look at one of them again. If I can't figure it out I'll write the owner first.

I have been emailing the owner and him has been giving me clues, but fairly small one. I don't want him to just give it away, but I think after 2months of it not being found you would think he would give a few clues on the web site. I thought maybe there was a certain way you solved some of these puzzle caches. But it appears the is one way for each seperate cache. This one intruiged me now I can't stop.

I feel for ya. Painful isn't it?

Did one not too long ago that I must have looked at a thousand times. All of a sudden one day it just clicked!

I must have been obsessing over it for months and when I figured it out it was just so @#$% simple.

I have been emailing the owner and him has been giving me clues, but fairly small one.
For some puzzles, the challenge is to figure out what the puzzle is. Once you figure out the theme of the puzzle (that is, once you figure out what the puzzle is), working out the coordinates is straightforward. It's hard to give non-spoiler hints to this type of puzzle.

I don't want him to just give it away, but I think after 2months of it not being found you would think he would give a few clues on the web site.
Some puzzle cache owners don't give hints until a cache has been found without hints (sometimes, until it has been found a few times without hints).

And one of my favorite puzzle caches has been found only 5 times since it was hidden a year and a half ago, and went unfound for a few weeks after it was first hidden.

.z

I would never think of giving away the answer to a puzzle cache that you created, and all I ask is the same consideration.

I have several puzzle caches in this area that I haven't solved. Every now and then I look at one of them again. If I can't figure it out I'll write the owner first.

I entirely agree with everything you said. My point was that there is nothing wrong with giving guidance such as 'Try to look for words that seem out of place' or 'Try to determine if there is a theme' or something else of substantive value. The assumption is that you, the person replying, doesn't know the answer anyways but is in a position to give the newbie solver an idea of what may be expected without revealing anything (you likely have nothing to reveal anyways).

I would never reveal a puzzle cache either, nor would I want one of mine revealed (were it that I had any). I see nothing wrong, though, with discussing the nature of puzzle caches without discussing or probing any one particular cache in the public forum.

.z

I have been emailing the owner and him has been giving me clues, but fairly small one.
For some puzzles, the challenge is to figure out what the puzzle is. Once you figure out the theme of the puzzle (that is, once you figure out what the puzzle is), working out the coordinates is straightforward. It's hard to give non-spoiler hints to this type of puzzle.

Funny, that's what I e-mailed to someone asking for help on one of mine. Unfortunately, he hit the e-mail button, and did not mention which cache he was looking for. So that was the best advice I could offer. (Always put the cache name in the e-mail, so the owner knows which cache you are inquiring about!)

I also offered the advice that for most of my mystery caches, one has to solve the puzzle before searching for the cache. People seem to miss that on the cache page: "The cache is not at the listed coordinates. Solve the puzzle to get the coordinates for the cache."

Start with the lowest difficulty puzzles and work your way up. Some of them can be very difficult. It also helps to work on them with a friend or a group of friends. It's a great way to have some fun. :blink:

.z

I entirely agree with everything you said. My point was that there is nothing wrong with giving guidance such as 'Try to look for words that seem out of place' or 'Try to determine if there is a theme' or something else of substantive value. The assumption is that you, the person replying, doesn't know the answer anyways but is in a position to give the newbie solver an idea of what may be expected without revealing anything (you likely have nothing to reveal anyways).

I would never reveal a puzzle cache either, nor would I want one of mine revealed (were it that I had any). I see nothing wrong, though, with discussing the nature of puzzle caches without discussing or probing any one particular cache in the public forum.

.z

If you agree with everything I said then you would agree with this line. "If you want a more in depth hint ask the owner of the cache. " It is their puzzle to give hints on or not.

I've decided never to do another puzzle again. Way too frustrating. Some owners are okay with their "help" while others are definitely not. Gets me too frustrated and nearly making me want to quit.

Most puzzles are too esoteric or require mind reading of the owner. No thanks! Would much rather find traditional caches instead.

Puzzle Cache: Exercise in Obscurity or Logic? Frankly, many of the "puzzle" caches I have seen are excercises in obscurity, not logic. And I continue to be amazed at the number of folks who consider themselves "clever" for being obscure. The only obscure feature of a puzzle cache should be how the container is hidden at the site.

Puzzle Cache: Exercise in Obscurity or Logic? Frankly, many of the "puzzle" caches I have seen are excercises in obscurity, not logic. And I continue to be amazed at the number of folks who consider themselves "clever" for being obscure. The only obscure feature of a puzzle cache should be how the container is hidden at the site.

You say that as if it were a bad thing! :laughing: The world is not always logical. Sometimes creativity and intuition are necessary.

On the other fin, if you don't like them, ignore them.

You say that as if it were a bad thing! :laughing: The world is not always logical. Sometimes creativity and intuition are necessary.

On the other fin, if you don't like them, ignore them.

The nice thing is that they are easy to filter out from PQs (for those that don't like them) unlike the opposite of a puzzle cache.....a zero brain wave LPC. <_< Edited by TrailGators