Geocaching in France

ScouseMouse

I am popping over to France very soon and would like to visit a few caches whilst there, but in the calais area can only find virtual caches, apart from one which when translated makes no sense at all.

I have a couple of TB's I would like to drop off so need to find regular caches can anyone help with the location of these.

Glynn aka ScouseMouse :laughing::ph34r:

There are only virts actually in Calais, but there is a multi only 6.5 miles away. A traditional cache is only 24 miles away.

You might also consider how you intend to arrive in Calais. Are you flying into another city? Perhaps there are some caches near that airport. Are you taking the train to Calais, or will you have access to a vehicle? Perhaps there are caches on your way. Is Calais you only destination?

A french geocacher eolas did a pretty neat tool to display all the french caches via Google. Here: http://www.mides.fr/

There wasn't that many caches in France in the past but things have improved dramatically in the last months.

True that many cache descriptions are only in french. It is a problem for foreigner.

As a rule all cache descriptions should be made in the local languages and english and of course use metric units when needed.

This is the beauty of geocaching, to be able to carry on all over the world but we must agree on a common language and measurement standard.

The automatic translation tools are most of the time a real pain that makes a two stars cache a five stars ! :laughing:

Edited by Suscrofa

You might also consider how you intend to arrive in Calais. Are you flying into another city? Perhaps there are some caches near that airport. Are you taking the train to Calais, or will you have access to a vehicle? Perhaps there are caches on your way. Is Calais you only destination?

I don't think you're maybe fully aware of the geographicalm, political, historical, or cultural significance of Calais for Brits. :D

I am popping over to France very soon and would like to visit a few caches whilst there, but in the calais area can only find virtual caches, apart from one which when translated makes no sense at all.

I have a couple of TB's I would like to drop off so need to find regular caches can anyone help with the location of these.

Glynn aka ScouseMouse :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am from Canada and had a similar query about caching in Paris. I got some good hints. Check out the thread "Coming to Paris" Some of the ideas in there may help your search. Good luck!

Guiderchachi

As a rule all cache descriptions should be made in the local languages and english and of course use metric units when needed.

That's right ! But

They are a lot of french speaking people who don't have the knowledge of the english language, as well as they are a lot of people who only english language understand.

Therefore both have the possibility to ask someone for a translation, the best is when they ask it on the french site http://www.forum.geocaching-france.com and they will surely find somebody to help them. :o

Don't forget to mention the name of the cache(s) :blink:

DGSTRUCH

Edited by DGSTRUCH