back road maps

ziek_2000

Hey I am new to the world of GPS and geocache. I bought a vista cx and topo canada so i could use it to navigate backroads on vancouver island. However i noticed that some of the lakes and features of the backcountry on van. island aren't there. For example a small lake and a fish hathery that are labelled on the local backroad mapbook are not labelled in topo canada. Is there software available that is more accurate for logging roads and backcountry in BC? Something with gates and bridges would be nice. Please let me know if i'm asking too much.

Thanks

Garmin doesn't have anything like that. And Im not sure if maps that have that kind of stuff are compatible with GPS's. So you'll probably need a laptop or PDA to use something like OziExplorer or Etopo.

What do those programs do? how do i find them? Thanks for your reply

Those maps come in an electronic version with a viewer. They are unfortunately not at the best resolution.

The Garmin map data comes from the federal government 1:50000 topo maps. Our government is not the best at keeping them up to date.

Honestly I was really unimpressed with the Garmin maps. They are scans of the paper maps, and the paper maps are in some cases old. My area of Squamish sits right on a boundary of 2 maps, one is metric and one is imperial. The topo lines on the Garmin maps did not line up at all, lakes were listed that did not exist and road data was just plan wrong. :-(

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a good alternative yet. The backroad maps on seem CD at least get a little closer to reality.

Forestry and paved road data is available from http://www.geobase.ca/. However there are no names listed, no bridges, or gate info and you have to put together the maps yourself. These maps do seem to be very accurate however (I have not been far off road with them though).

They are not "scans". The topo data is from the electronic maps that our federal Government produces. That is the ONLY topographic data that exists for Canada, so there is not exactly any other choice.

The road data is much much newer than the topographic maps and is normally quite good.

I have to agree though... some areas have really bad map coverage whereas others are not bad. I have had few problems with Garmin maps and auto-routing in Ontario and most of Vancouver, but having been in Squamish last weekend and trying to navigate around the Vancouver airport, there is MUCH room for improvement. I do expect that these things WILL improve, especially as the use of GPS's becomes more and more common, but it will never move as fast as we like.