5/5 rated caches

I'm sure that this has been covered before, but I'm looking for any one of the following.

A method do search for caches by difficulty rating, looking for all 5/5s

A list of all 5/5 rated caches.

A method to search for or a list of all caches that require climbing or caving.

Anyone have any ideas?

Rhank Roo,

biosearch

I just set up a PQ asking for 5/5 caches in Kentucky. There are 2 of them! you could use your home coords and

a large radius (larger than Kentucky, obviously) and get more. In Florida, where I cache, 5 terrain commonly refers to boats or scuba, not rock climbing..... but if you got a bunch into GSAK you could use its search feature to hunt for the word "climb".

I've found a few 5/5's. Every one of them misrated - terrain 5 for the special equipment, but the actual cache hunt part somewhere between 2 and 3.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I just got Drop in at Shanty Hollow yesterday, am getting ready to do Plunge Extreme in the next month or two. Really Shanty Hollow was practice for the Plunge.

I assume by your name that you are into caving, or you study caves, or... I'm here at Western Ky Univ. big Karst and Cave Studies/Research center here. Makes sense with what we have in the area.

I'll try some of those searches. Do some just for a 5 terrain, that is more of what I am looking for than the difficulty.

Thanks, anyone have any other ideas I'd be more than happy to hear from them...

Wow! I sure admire your grit. I love a good deep, dark cave. There are a number of unexplored caves in my area, on private property. I'm developing a rather enlarged midsection these days tho, that precludes any real strenuous speological outtings. They tell me it's sexy in Texas tho. :P Good luck on your dives. With your apparent experience, I know I don't have to bring up preservation. Be careful friends.

If you're looking for climbing caches I'd PQ on terrain 4 and above, then drop the caches into GSAK and use Search>Filter>full text search and ask for climb/ climbing. That should narrow it down, then you'd need to just start reading cache descriptions. There are a lot of misrated caches - caches that really need climbing gear rated 3.5, caches that need a boat rated 2 (it's an easy walk into the woods once you pull ashore) and so on. The text search helps a lot with that.

You can set up a PQ and not indicate a day to run it, this will allow you to preview it, see how many caches you've returned.

You can also filter on attributes, but again, many hiders don't use them, and older cacher absolutely won't have them

Isonzo Karst... Thanks for the pointers on pq's. I created on a day or so ago but didn't put the ideas that you had into it. Will go back and modify it. It took me awhile (duh) to figure out that I could create more specific/detailed searches using pocket queries, even if I don't run them automatically and only use them with the preview option. One of the main benefits of paid membership.

Airmapper... I soooooo wanted the ftf on that cache. I made two trips out there to try and get it. Was sweating that one for awhile, but I got it. I saw your log, I've got more than enough gear to get you over the edge to pick that one up. Let me know if you're interested.

X-isle... Yes preservation is a major issue in my book. As for grit, after twelve years in the military, three of which were in a Ranger Bn, "this ain't no thang atall".

Airmapper... I soooooo wanted the ftf on that cache. I made two trips out there to try and get it. Was sweating that one for awhile, but I got it. I saw your log, I've got more than enough gear to get you over the edge to pick that one up. Let me know if you're interested.

I've been watching that cache since it was published. I was wondering how long it would sit there, congratulations, after visiting the site I know it was no small task. Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know. :ph34r: