Slow Cachemate Question

Alfresco2006

After reading that most people in the forums use Cachemate for paperless caching I decided it was worth a try especially as GPXView and GPX Sonar don't support higher resolution VGA PDA's making the reading of filenames etc. impossible.

I have an up to date and powerful PDA (Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox N560) that I got primarily for paperless caching but when I load a new database of GPX files into the Cachemate software it is extremely slow at creating the database and adding the GPX files. Approx. 10 seconds per cache. This would make loading in a couple of thousand caches at a time an extremely slow process, infact the best part of a day and as you know it is essential to keep the database up to date regularly as the new query results come out each week.

I know it is not the unit as it is the most powerful PDA currently out there (fast card etc. as well) so is this normal that Cachemate is so slow or is there a way to speed it up. A well written database of a couple of thousand records should load into a PDA in a couple of seconds not several hours. I did 700 caches into Cachmate the other day and that took nearly an hour. Please advise.

After reading that most people in the forums use Cachemate for paperless caching I decided it was worth a try especially as GPXView and GPX Sonar don't support higher resolution VGA PDA's making the reading of filenames etc. impossible.

I have an up to date and powerful PDA (Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox N560) that I got primarily for paperless caching but when I load a new database of GPX files into the Cachemate software it is extremely slow at creating the database and adding the GPX files. Approx. 10 seconds per cache. This would make loading in a couple of thousand caches at a time an extremely slow process, infact the best part of a day and as you know it is essential to keep the database up to date regularly as the new query results come out each week.

I know it is not the unit as it is the most powerful PDA currently out there (fast card etc. as well) so is this normal that Cachemate is so slow or is there a way to speed it up. A well written database of a couple of thousand records should load into a PDA in a couple of seconds not several hours. I did 700 caches into Cachmate the other day and that took nearly an hour. Please advise.

Windows is probably slowing it down somewhat, however it should not be that much. I have the PALM OS version that loads approx 5000 caches in less than a couple of minutes during a normal HotSync.

You might try uninstalling and re-installing Cachemate.

I had the same problem with cachemate running slow on my palm(zire 21) when I added the caches to it. Then I figured out the problem. It was checking each cache for updates individually, that is what was taking so long. If you go into cachemate and delete all the files then sync the palm, it will install extremely quickly. Any question, just let me know.

Eric - TeamOVCacher

You can't compare cachemate import on a Palm with the import on a PocketPC. On Palms the conversion of the GPX-file to the cachemate database is done on the PC and then the result is put on palm via hotsync.

On the PocketPC you import the GPX-file directly with the cachemate on the PocketPC. I have a PocketLoox N520 an have the same problem. I observed that about 600 caches (plus additional waypoints) take about 8 to 10 minutes to import in an empty database. When I reduce the number of caches in the GPX-file to 350 (plus add. WP) it imports in only 2 minutes. There seems to be some problem with the import of large GPX files.

Martin

Yes the conversion takes place on the pda on the windows mobile version of cachemate which can make the process slow.There has been several requests for a pc version of the converter to help speed up the process.The only thing I have done to make the speed much more toleable is storig the database in the pda memory.If you store the database on the card cachemate has to read the data from the card do the conversion then rewrite it to the card which makes the process very slow.When I write it to the main memory it load everal caches per second.I have also noticed that no matter where it is written that the updates do take less time than the original import.I hope that they do release a desktop program to do the conversion but I also like the ability to do the conversion on the pda itself since I sometimes download a gpx file directly from my treo for a new cache or caches in an area I am in.