How much will fit on a 1g MicroSD card?

ssfitz

I have a 60CSx and I recently purchased the Topo software. Well, the supplied 64 mb card doesn't hold what I would like it to. If I recall correctly, the 2 gig card is more than enough to hold the entire country????

Well, Best Buy has a 1 gig MicroSD card on sale for $24.99.

What kind of coverage can I get with the 1 gig card? 60% of the continental US?

Thanks in advance.

Fitz

I have a 60CSx and I recently purchased the Topo software. Well, the supplied 64 mb card doesn't hold what I would like it to. If I recall correctly, the 2 gig card is more than enough to hold the entire country????
You're only allowed 2025 map segments, Topo USA has like 5000 map segments. Therefore you'll need to pick and choose which segments to load.

Well, Best Buy has a 1 gig MicroSD card on sale for $24.99.
Not much of a deal, NewEgg had 1GB for under $10.

To reiterate, yes, there is a 2025 segment count limit for the x models that use the microSD memory.

Much to Garmin's non-credit, their USA TOPO product is divided into very small, and very numerous, segments. With the big microSD cards, you will hit the segment count limit long before you hit the memory limit.

(For Garmin's other mapping products, this is not an issue since they have large segments.)

With USA TOPO you will hit the segment count limit at about 375mb or so. I have a 512mb card loaded with some 1950 segments of the western states. This takes up about 325mb space.

So, if you use USA TOPO, any card bigger than a 512mb is a waste. By the way, Garmin says that you can use up to 2gb cards in their x products. Avoid the high speed Ultra cards, and avoid, for now, the SDHC 4gb cards. Those don't work.

Several of us have been bugging Garmin for 10 months now to increase the segment count limit. A year ago they did make an increase from 1025 to 2025 for some products. For the x products they have issued some half-dozen firmware updates, but have not yet increased the count to anything bigger than 2025.

They must either consolidate segments in TOPO products into bigger segments (like the City products) or increase the count limit.

Supposedly they will be issuing new firmware updates to allow for the changed daylight saving time algorithm. Hopefully the new updates will include increase segment count limits. But I'm not holding my breath.

Come on, Garmin!!! Git 'er done!!!!!

Supposedly they will be issuing new firmware updates to allow for the changed daylight saving time algorithm. Hopefully the new updates will include increase segment count limits. But I'm not holding my breath.

Come on, Garmin!!! Git 'er done!!!!!

I suspect, as indicated by their SuperBowl ad, that all their resources are going to their Road Warrior products. What is needed is Topo USA NT with much larger segments. The old Topo USA has to remain for the older receivers with only 8-32MB of memory.

Hermit

I've got a 1GB card and own both TOPO USA and City Navigator 8 (non NT).

I've loaded about 1/3 of the country (western USA) of both city and topo into my unit and am going AT the 2025 map segment with 963MB so I'm using it to perfect efficiency.

It almost seems like topo might be a discontinued product (they still produce it but do they release new updates?)