eTrex Legend or Explorist 210?

bronzey214

Between the two, the eXplorist is the better choice. It's a newer unit, with updated technology. The Legend was a good unit in its day, but it has very limited map memory at 8 megs and has been around over 6 years which is ancient by GPS standards.

You might also want to consider the eTrex Venture CX. It's a bit more than the eXplorist (you can find it for around $180 if you shop around), but it has a color display and expandible map memory (up to 2 gigs) while the eXplorist 210 only has 22 megs of fixed memory. The Venture CX is a real sweet unit for the money.

You don't need extra maps, but they make your unit much more useful. The base maps that come with both Garmin and Magellan units are very basic and only show major roads and highways. If you want detailed maps you need to buy the mapping software. You can always buy the unit, then get the mapping software later.

Funny as I just resolved this question recently.

I have been using a Magellan eXplorist 100 for the last year and have been very happy with the performance and accuracy.

Just before Christmas, Wal-Mart had a package deal of a Garmin Legend and map software as a bundle for just under C$200. I bought the package and tried the Legend.

Don't get me wrong. I really liked the Legend and respect the reputation of Garmin (reading the good reviews of customer service really pushed me to buy this package).

But I found the Legend display too small to read! Hey, I'm not that old (though I do remember Disco :-) but I found the lettering very small to read. My caching partner also found the lettering too small to ready without removing her glasses everytime to read the display.

Even though the package contained map software that was worth almost as much as the entire package, I return the Garmin and have continued using my 100.

PS: A local drug store has the 500LE on sale for $C199 and I am tempted to upgrade my Magellan.

Edited by Fuzzywhip

Okay, so I'm not advertising for any site, etc., just needed an image and data to drop in here and explain what I'm talking about because I'm next to illiterate... (ex-Army Infantryman, duh)....

http://www.tigergps.com/magellanexplorist210outdoor.html

I bought this, not only comes with the gps, but the case, and the chargers and (and this is what sold me on the deal) the maps, which alone would cost you somewhere in the vicinity of $80.00 all by itself.

As for the unit, havn't used many different types of gps (mostly the magellan and trimble) but really like the 210 for ease of use and for the fact that it is pretty much designed for geocaching.

And from what I've seen you can find a pretty good deal on them from time to time. Now there is a model that is color, and color is nice (I think it is the 500) and one that is black and white but will take a sim card. Both of these are nice to have option in my opinion, but I've done just fine with my 210. And there is a fairly major cost difference.

Just some thoughts.

I ended up going to Gander Mountain where they had the package of a Explorist 210 + Topo 3D + car adapter + case for 199 or the Vista + MapSource Topo + case for 199.

I went with the Explorist for the sole reason of USB.

I'd take the eXplorist over the Vista too, but I still would have gone for the Venture CX. Hard to beat that unit for the money.

I, too, have a 210 and love it to bits. It's my first unit, but I'm new to geocaching. I figure if this little baby could help me find 13 caches, and I could figure out how to use it, it must be terrific! I love the geocaching software, but I've not yet had to slave away at entering coordinates by hand. I'm sure I started off spoiled!

Count this as another vote for the $210!