Prize for the 9th caller

Ann_Brush

Fairly new to caching. I see the huge emphasis on FTF's - problem is that there are a large number of caching fanatics who "head out 45 miles for the FTF at 2:30 am" minutes after the cache is reviewed. I probably will never participate in this kind of madness I have been wondering if a cache hider could place a "FTF prize" for say, the 9th to find, that way someone who was keen on caching but not able to get out at 2:30 am would be able to participate in this kind of excitement - has this been done before, thoughts comments?

Edited for typo

Edited by Ann_Brush

Fairly new to caching. I see the huge emphasis on FTF's - problem is that there are a large number of caching fanatics who "head out 45 miles for the FTF at 2:30 am" minutes after the cache is reviewed. I probably will never participate in this kind of madness I have been wondering if a cache hider could place a "FTF prize" for say, the 9th to find, that way someone who was keen on caching but not able to get out at 2:30 am would be able to participate in this kind of excitement - has this been done before, thoughts comments?

Edited for typo

The people that get excited and rush to be FTF at 2:30am are doing it to be FTF, not to claim whatever prize is there. Waiting until the 9th finder to give a nice prize is fine, but the FTF hounds won't care.

And the 9th finder that gets to claim the prize, will not have participated in the FTF excitement either. So you're not exactly giving them a taste of the same.

A Ninth To Find prize is still nice of you, and will likely still make someone happy. :D

Edited for typo

You can do it. But it's more work for you. First you can't assume the FTF hounds will leave a prize until the 9th finder, though they might. The 9th online log may not be the 9th actual finder...and which do you want to have the prize? You have to post and say "9th finder" then verify who really was and then Snail Mail them the prize. That's almost fool proof but extra work. You can also specify that anyone with an existing FTF don't seek your cache (and can't log online at all) until someone without an FTF has done so.

Snoogans just dropping something nice at randome is simplest. No muss no fuss, not tracking of logs, and the log book. That an the check the log and mail the prize would probably work best.

They call it an " ALR" - Additional Logging Requirement. I do it on my new caches occasionally in order to let a newbie get a chance at a FTF.

What is there to do additionally besides log the find?

An ALR cache requires that you do something specific in addition to signing the log, in order to log your find online. A poetry cache might require you to log your find in a rhyme, or else it's deleted. Another cache might require that you take a picture of yourself wearing a silly mask in the cache, and post it with your log, or the log gets deleted.

Grabbing a prize set aside for you isn't an ALR cache.

The people that get excited and rush to be FTF at 2:30am are doing it to be FTF, not to claim whatever prize is there. Waiting until the 9th finder to give a nice prize is fine, but the FTF hounds won't care.

And the 9th finder that gets to claim the prize, will not have participated in the FTF excitement either. So you're not exactly giving them a taste of the same.

A Ninth To Find prize is still nice of you, and will likely still make someone happy.

It's not necessarily the 9th to find, its just the nth to find where n is not equal to 1.

Edited for typo

So, here we go again.

What makes this a "problem?"

Although I fully understand the FTF mystique, i will never understand how any artificial manipulation is going to make the first finder somehow NOT the FTF and grant this "honour" to the nth finder.

FTF is not about prizes, it is about being FIRST. You cannot be the ninth first.

Hey all you "fairness police", get a clue! People KEEP SCORE in games. The Olympics issues Gold, Silver and Bronze medals... and NO MEDAL to 4th through nth. (At least for now... I'm sure the fairness patrol will hit there soon enough).

Everyone cannot win! Everyone cannot be first! It is OK to come in second. It is OK to LOSE. That is LIFE! Losing encourages excellence so as to quit losing in the future.

A special prize for the nth is a great idea and if clearly marked, I believe MOST cachers will honour your wishes, but you take the chance that someone will not and the prize might not go to the finder you intended. Just don't labour under the misconception that you have changed nth into 1st.

maybe I am wrong.. but what I see here is that some may think why not speard around the wealth? The wealth being the FTF prize. In my area we have the same people getting FTF weather it be they have more time to devote to caching or more experience.. whatever. I know just from logs that there are competitive ideals and maybe in a given area most FTF finds and/or prizes go to a limited number of people. So for that reason this Idea interests me. Finding a way to give others a chance for a prize even though they can not devote 24/7 to caching or may not be as experienced at it is a good idea. This may give them a chance to get a cool prize. I will watch this thread for ideas to add to my own to ... as I said "speard the wealth around a bit". Please do not add or assume anything extra to what I have said. I am in no way against FTF cachers and am looking forward to compete with them for that FTF prize.. :D

Peace

-Bilbad

Interesting topic, and insights. I've noticed my local first to finders are not at all interested in the special swag typically reserved for that first person, but are after the prestige to find it first. That's ok with me. I have been working on spreading those FTF opportunities around by submitting my caches for review earlier in the day so they get published while most folks are at work. If they get posted late at night, those hard core FTF'rs will go get it right away, so I can somewhat control this this way. Although I do enjoy seeing others get to be FTF, I'm ok with those who are into the prestige of it.

maybe I am wrong.. but what I see here is that some may think why not speard around the wealth? The wealth being the FTF prize.

The way to "spread the wealth" is to simply forgo the FTF prize and put decent stuff into the cache for which people can TRADE.

Unless a particular item is marked "for FTF", it is generally considered a trading item. As long as the finders have integrity, the good items should last until a finder really wants it and has something of similar value to trade for it. (of course this is a dream world)

If something is intended as a gift, to be taken without trade, one can simply attach a note to it to that effect like "please take only one- no trade needed" and the chances are as good as any that it will be taken as intended.

"Sharing the wealth" is a laudable goal, but in general, it doesn't work well among the human population.

I like getting FTFs, but can count them all on my fingers.

That said, the fun is in being first. That's what the FTF is all about. Failing that, the fun is meeting other cachers attempting the FTF and joining in the "FTF Party". Yeah, it can be more fun missing the FTF.

Most caches don't offer a FTF prize.

The further away an FTF is, the less incentive to go after it due to all the FTF hounds out there. That being said, having an FTF prize is added incentive to try for the FTF. If you want to discourage the FTF race, you don't want to add any prizes.

Some caches come with prizes for FTF, STF and even TTF and Fourth to find.

Something else I've noticed, especially on micro caches, is that after the initial rush of FTF fanatics, the cache can go unfound for several weeks or longer!

Something else I've noticed, especially on micro caches, is that after the initial rush of FTF fanatics, the cache can go unfound for several weeks or longer!

Interesting isn't it?

Could it be that these micros have nothing to offer except the FTF and a smiley? After the FTF hounds and the numbers ho's get their "fix", it's just another film can under a lamppost skirt.