Ammo cans

Last_Warrior

I would like to point out that ammo cans need to have all trace of what was in them blacked out, because the numbers on are traceable and we dont want any one to get in trouble as well as scare people who may accidently find the can. Lets all make an effort to clearly label all our caches.

I think most of who use ammo cans either repaint them like myself or otherwise re-label them or at least black out the contents markings. Guess I don't get what you are saying about tracing the numbers? They are no longer needed military surplus legally made available for sale to the public, why would anyone need or want to trace them?

Edited by Bill & Tammy

I agree. The military markings might be more alarming to an accidental finder than if they were covered over and it was labelled as a geocache.

I'd say that over half the ammo boxes I've found still had the military markings and many of these were in popular parks. That's just asking for the bomb squad to be called in.

The information on the ammocans are used to identify the contents only. Any can containing a LOT NUMBER can identify the manufacture of the munitions and the year/month the munitions were made. It would be impossible to track where an individual can went after leaving the the manufacture.

The U.S. Air Force requires all munitions markings to be obliterated and the word "EMPTY" stencil on the can. Other military branchs obviously have different requirments.

The best thing to do is remove all military markings from the can and remark it to identify it as a Geocache!

I would like to point out that ammo cans need to have all trace of what was in them blacked out, because the numbers on are traceable and we dont want any one to get in trouble as well as scare people who may accidently find the can. Lets all make an effort to clearly label all our caches.

Acetone (Home Depot and other places) takes off the yellow markings in seconds. Dosn't seem to have any effect on the green paint other than cleaning it.