Cache on State Land

W. B. Taylor

I read that you can not place a cache on U.S. Forrest Service property or National Park Service. What about state land? I'm looking at land maintained by the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources.

I've noticed there are other caches listed on this property but I just want to make sure I am not breaking any rules.

WB Taylor

Check with your local reviewer.

Each state has it's own rules on use of state lands and your local reviewer will know the situation in your area.

Sometimes it even varies with the state and over time. We have a great stretch of land in central Westchester county called Rockerfeller State Preserve, its one of the famed family's old compounds and besides great wooded trails, they even preserved the farms so you can see what the area was like before it became hyper-developed in the 2nd half of the 20th century.

Lots of people rushed to put caches there and initially they banned it, but then they let them stay and new ones required a permit.

Other NY State parks have caches, some parks require permits, but I believe others don't (but I could be wrong here).

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

I'm posting just to correct an inaccuracy in the initial post. While it's true that caches are almost never permitted on property managed by the NPS (and even in that case, there are limited exceptions), the U.S. Forest Service is an entirely different case. USFS leaves the decisionmaking on geocache policy in the hands of the local land managers. Check for rules applicable to the National Forest(s) near you. Some require permit applications, some have passive permission guidelines, some have no rules at all but tolerate the activity. And, there are many examples where wilderness areas are designated as off limits to geocaches.

Contact the state department that manages the land in question. In Florida, we had one on a DCA nature path behind their building. The planning department even has a booklet concerning geocache rules on their land. If there are already caches on the land, it should be OK, but check with the department to make sure they know about your cache and the others.

Edited by Gecko1

In Tennessee, Some statelands are okay and some aren't. In general, land set aside for wildlife, such as management areas, and game preserves are completely off-limits. Some properties are designated as public use or recreation areas, in which case it may or may not be allowed at the discretion of the land manager.

And how in the world am I supposed to know if park "X" is a recreation area? If the name contains "blah blah State Recreation Area" does that count? What about national parks? What about county parks? What about city parks? We have all of those in Michigan. What about a picnic table on the side of the road, is that a recreation area? We have those too. What about a "rest area"?

More details would be helpful.

Edited by chuckr30