When do you keep a Geocoin?

dustified1234567

I am new to geo caching and was wondering if someone could tell me the deal with the geo coins. I hear that some people keep them but wasn't sure what to do if I ever found one.

For geocoins that are trackable on GC.com, the answer is that the vast majority, when encountered in the wild, are NOT meant to be kept by the finder. They should be treated as the property of the owner (because they are), but they can be picked up and moved along to other caches in accordance with the coin's goal (as stated on the coin's page).

Some people do give geocoins as gifts to friends, or as First to Find prizes, and many people buy, sell and trade them.

I am new to geo caching and was wondering if someone could tell me the deal with the geo coins. I hear that some people keep them but wasn't sure what to do if I ever found one.

Thanks

:huh: One of mine went missing the other day! Just enjoy them and move them on. Please do not keep them.

To reiterate what I said in my earlier post, if they are trackable and registered, they are owned by someone and should be moved to another cache. Its pretty disappointing to release a coin for the enjoyment of others only to have someone steal it. I've lost several that were in circulation and each one had and accompanying laminated card asking that it be kept in circulation, so the thieves knew exactly what they were doing.

But if a coin is not activated, it can be considered a gift (see Night Stalker's post) and it is yours to do with as you wish. You can activate it yourself and release it, or if you are a collector, add it to your collection, sell it or trade it.

Non trackable coins are like any other trade item. You can move them to another cache or keep them. It's up to you.

Edited by briansnat

I've been using the same rules that Briansnat listed.

I'm going to be putting out my own cache soon and plan to leave a geocoin as a FTF gift. I know what thrill it was when I found a gift coin and I want to pass that experience on to someone else.

Since there is confusion on this issue, I plan to leave a note that clearly lets the person know they are welcome to keep the coin. I'd hate for someone to move it along when it was meant for them to keep.

Thanks

I have a similar, related question for a newbie - what is the appropriate etiquette associated with taking/leaving coins and TBs? Most of the 'found' posts I read go something like "took TB-XYZ and left TB-ABC" or "took blue coin, left red coin" for instance. I don't think I've seen anyone indicate that they took one of these items without replacing it with a like item. As a newbie, I currently don't have any like items...

Is it acceptable to take a TB or coin, with the intent of moving on, if you do not have a similar replacement?

Thanks!

I feel that unless specified by the CACHE owner that would like one dropped for one picked up TB's and coins are fair game at any time. as a tb owner i want my tb to move not sit and wait for someone who has one to trade.

and about keeping coins, some people use wooden ones as a sig item, i know i do, and those are fair game. if you come across one of my wooden ones feel free to keep it.

Tim

Is it acceptable to take a TB or coin, with the intent of moving on, if you do not have a similar replacement?

Yes. Travellers are not regular trade items. As long as you plan to move them along promptly you are free to take one (or more) without replacing it. The point of travellers is to travel, so it doesn't make sense to leave them sitting in a cache because you don't have anything to trade.