I am hating Magellan very quickly!

MarilynB

I cannot get a region loaded on my 500, when I click on the upload to GPS, it tells me I have selected the wrong GPS type to upload (I have Explorist selected)

I have talked to support three times, they todl me to reload Mapsend Direct 3.0

I did, still can't get the region on the gps, the software won't communicate with the gps.

Anyone else ever see this??

Ahhhh they kill me

The honey moon was nice :D

I cannot get a region loaded on my 500, when I click on the upload to GPS, it tells me I have selected the wrong GPS type to upload (I have Explorist selected)

I have talked to support three times, they todl me to reload Mapsend Direct 3.0

I did, still can't get the region on the gps, the software won't communicate with the gps.

Anyone else ever see this??

Ahhhh they kill me

The honey moon was nice :D

Here's some info on how to upload maps to the 210. Might work with the 500. I got this off another site, ar15armory.com, if you are interested.

Anyway, I just picked up one of the units yesterday-I'm a newbie too. This method worked great-I was loading maps in less than 30 minutes from opening the first cd.

Here you go:

Before you do anything, turn your GPS on and using the menu screen goto the about option, then jot down your unit serial number. Now you can plug your GPS into your computer and it will automatically go to the com screen. (Hell of alot easier than older models that you had to pick what com.) Your unit will now be powered by computer like an IPOD so doen't worry about draining your batteries.

The Mapsend program is actually pretty easy to use. You narrow your search by a number of easy to use tools such as address search or state etc. Then define the map size by boxing it. Pay attention at this point to the memory size which will appear in the box when you move your cursor. You don't want to get too big or it won't load. Another thing to keep in mind is the more detail the more memory it will use. A large metropolitan area for example uses more memory than miles of smaller cities and rural areas. Now all you do is right click and label the map. Make sure it is something you will recognize when you call it up on your GPS.

It's at this point that the USB procedure changes from the serial port method. You will note that the map you just defined shows up in a box on the right of the screen. Mark it but don't hit the upload button, that's for serial units which are slow. Instead hit Ctl-U and chose the save option. It will ask you your unit serial number at this point.

Now simply open the conversion program which is in your start program files from your utility disk and follow the prompts. It will not only list all the maps you have stored on your harddrive but how much memory is available on your GPS and how much memory each map uses. Pretty easy.

You acess the detail maps from the pull down on your GPS by hitting the menu button, then scroll/enter preferences, then active backgroun, then scroll select detail map. This is probably the hardest part which is pretty simple but you do have to remember this. If you are not in your detail map area it will show the base map until you do.

Check the GPS serial number you are using. Use the internal one (press menu, select about). The serial number in the battery compartment is different. Also check communication cord connection. The cord should be coming out the connector and running down over the battery compartment.

You were right...I asked to speak to a supervisor and it was the same guy that helped me in the beggining...he said rick we have a fix for you and pointed me righ to the serial number.

The serial number on the back of the Unit that you register with is not the same as the one from the help display options..

Ok, so I have to repent and say that I now love the unit and I need to be more patient with customer service..

He (support) helped me with a few other things to .... :lol::D:lol:

You'll love that unit...it's great!! Uploading maps is easy and quick!! Just don't leave it out in the cold for long periods (a few hours in direct cold)...if the unit gets cold (around 15* or so), it'll lock up and then you'll need to do a bit of work to reboot it!!

I had to do that the other day...it works fine now, but was a headache for a few!!

You'll love that unit...it's great!! Uploading maps is easy and quick!! Just don't leave it out in the cold for long periods (a few hours in direct cold)...if the unit gets cold (around 15* or so), it'll lock up and then you'll need to do a bit of work to reboot it!!

I had to do that the other day...it works fine now, but was a headache for a few!!

It doesn't make sense that an electronic device would lock up because it's cold. Makes me think there is a defect in the gps unit. Modern electronics are pretty tolerant of normal temperature extremes. I leave my gps on the truck windshield (Garmin Streetpilot i3) for hours with temps in the teens and it has no affect on it at all. Have you tried contacting Magellan about this problem?

Ray

It doesn't make sense that an electronic device would lock up because it's cold. Makes me think there is a defect in the gps unit. Modern electronics are pretty tolerant of normal temperature extremes. I leave my gps on the truck windshield (Garmin Streetpilot i3) for hours with temps in the teens and it has no affect on it at all. Have you tried contacting Magellan about this problem?

Ray

Maybe the cold just affects the ability of the batteries to power the unit.

Ray

Maybe the cold just affects the ability of the batteries to power the unit.

From Magellans specs on eXplorist 500:

"Operating Range 14 to 140°F (-10 to 60°C) "

For whatever reason min. temp is 14 degrees F. Makes me curious what my i3 specs are..

Ray

Edited by raybonz

thats not normal. I live in canada and the GPS is on my handlebars on my ATV at temps of -20c probably lower with the windchill. I did have a brand new unit that had your problem and I returned it right away.

Edited by D0T-C0M

thats not normal. I live in canada and the GPS is on my handlebars on my ATV at temps of -20c probably lower with the windchill. I did have a brand new unit that had your problem and I returned it right away.

There is no such thing as a windchill factor on an object that does not produce its own heat. -20 is still -20 on plastic even though it feels like -40 to a humanoid.

There is no such thing as a windchill factor on an object that does not produce its own heat. -20 is still -20 on plastic even though it feels like -40 to a humanoid.

Ok your probably right, but my point I was trying to convey was I've had it in very cold temperatures and my present e600 is not effected. The previous brand new one I got back from warranty would lock up when the temperature sensor read 4c during my freezer tests. This one went to -18c no problems at all.

Edited by D0T-C0M