bugs in remote caches

Foinavon

It was with great interest that I read the recent thread on caches that haven't been found for over 6 months. Coincidently one of these is one I am going to attempt this weekend Wolfhole crag in the Forest of Bowland which was last found in July and was only found twice last year. What I am wondering if wether its considered bad etiquette to drop a tb/coin into a cache like this. Its not a puzzle or a multi its just very remote. It currently has one in it that's been there for a year.

I love caches like this. It does meant though that when I have a rare opportunity to go out for a whole day my find cound just increases by one!

Edited by Foinavon

Drop one of your own bugs or coins into the cache - preferably an interesting one. It'll soon encourage visitors, but you won't feel guilty if it stays there for six months.

If you drop anyone else's traveller in the cache, check the mission and if it really doesn't help then don't do it.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

One of my geocoins has recently been placed in a new country to geocaching i.e. Montenegro.

This gave initial mixed feelings glad to be associated with a first but unsure of its future.

On occasion potential placers have asked me if I mind a trackable going to a certain area you could try this if you are not placing your own trackable.

We all play the game differently and its a matter of Conscience what risks we take, I am always aprehensive until a trackable has been proven to be retrieved be it others or my own.

Make your choice and go with it. :laughing:

In the past I have received an email from the owner of a TB asking me to go to my cache to retrieve their TB and move it on, Luckily somebody else did before I had the chance to get back out there.

I would not purposely leave a TB in a seldom visited cache, but I think their owners have to be aware that this can happen and just be patient, If it gets put in a scottish mountain cache which could be covered under 6ft of snow, then I'm sorry, but they will have to wait till the summer before it has all melted away.

Just the same as I would take a TB to move it on if it had sat there for a while, even if it was one I had already seen.

Its just the luck of the draw when you release a TB, just have to have a little bit of patience for it to move on.

Well in New Zealand, most caches are remote caches.

Some haven't been visited for months due to their location.

But saying that I tend to launch rescue missions if a TB has been stuck for a couple of months, but these caches are whole day events. Usually three hours each way (If you don't get lost) :D

See ya...Gary

I rescued two in the summer that had sat in a cache for nine months, and was please to get a 'thank you' e-mail from one of the owners.

Conversely, one of my bugs was put in a cache that only had two visits last year. I was hoping the bug may have enticed people to visit, but I'll just have to wait for the spring now and hope it moves on (it's not a cache to visit in icy conditions). At least I know where it is and it hasn't gone missing/been stolen. It's a risk you take when sending them out into the wide wild world, and a risk I, for one, am happy to accept.

I think this is a tricky question - personally if it were one of our TBs we wouldn't mind in the slightest as we like remote caches and don't check on our TBs that often. If and when they do move, it's generally a surprise as we tend to forget about them. That said, all of our TBs are technically lost and haven't moved for ages although we do know exactly where one of them lives but it's in an unpublished cache due to maintenance problems - that reminds me, maybe sometime I should get around to contacting some locals to see whether they can rescue it....

On the other hand, we do feel quite responsible for TBs/coins that we pick up in other countries and breathe a sigh of relief when they move on as it's such a shame when they go missing. We even watch some of the earlier ones we've brought over from the US and think it's great that some are still mobile - Scenic Voyager springs to mind.