Geo Teaming?

AsYouWish54

I'm wondering about geocaching as a team? I've looked all through the faqs and searched the forum and can't find the answer to a current 'team' question.

When geoteaming... does that mean that all members of the 'team' are at the geocache? I see in your Geoteaming page the description that "Splitting into teams, you'll decipher visual and written clues to chart your course through this high-tech treasure hunt. Then it's up to you to design and execute a strategy to achieve your team and company objectives.

geoteaming is fast-paced, high-energy fun, where every minute counts as you race against the clock. The miles and feet tick off on your GPS unit, bringing you closer to the hidden cache. When you find the cache, your team lets out a shout, and you snap a photo to document your success. But there's no time to catch your breath, because you're already heading off to the next cache. You've got to make your deadline, or there's a stiff price to pay."

So my question is aside from this being a corporate meeting team building adventure, is 'geoteaming' used with all the 'team' members present at each cache??

Or does one member 'go caching' and sign in other 'friends' as part of a team when the friend hasn't been to the cache?

Thanks in advance for the answer.

Email me at AsYouWish10@msn.com

You're confusing Geoteaming (A corporate team building program) with geocaching teams.

Geocaching "teams" are usually just a family or a close group of friends who always, or nearly always cache together. Most teams I'm aware of consist of a husband, wife and kids and rather than having accounts for each family member they choose a "Team Smith" or "Team Jones" name. I also know of several groups of close friends who have chosen to use a team account rather than individual accounts because they nearly always geocache together.

I think in most cases if one member finds a cache without the rest of the team, he will sign using the team name, but the reason they chose a team account in the first place is because they nearly always hunt caches together, so this generally isn't an issue.

If the individual members often go after caches without the rest of the group then a team account doesn't make a lot of sense.

I geocache with my wife a lot and we could have decided to call ourselves Team Snat, but because I also go off on my own a lot, and my wife has found caches on her own, we decided that separate accounts were the best way to go. A family that always geocaches together might come to the opposite conclusion and create a team account.

I've looked all through the faqs and searched the forum...
...and that's more effort than many tadpoles put in before asking questions here. Thanks for taking the time to do your research. Your question was a good one, and while briansnat answered it pretty authoritatively, you may not be the only person to confuse the two 'team' concepts.

Oh, and welcome to the sport!

Welcome. As our name say's we are a team. Me (MOM), my husband (DAD) and our two kids. So far Dad has not been able to come along because he was working. But we still are a family so that is why the name. I am hoping this summer we can plan a family vacation and get Dad out Geocaching along the way.

I agree with the caching with kids, it is lots of fun. My kids love it. But Micro's are not for them, they want treasure at least at their current age of 9 1/2 and 5 3/4. So I look for caches that not micro's. I do not have a prem. membership yet but am thinking about it. So far I just look at caches in our area I want to find and see if they are micro's and if they I do not down load them to my GPS.

Good Luck Geocaching!

I have a private account name, & WE have a family TEAM name. It makes logging easier with a single name, but when we hunt caches together (which is almost all the time, lest I get in troublewith the other "team members"! LOL), I sign the log entry as:

Geofireman

Team: GeoRays

That way it is know that a "team" effort found the cache (and the kids feel they also get thier credit).

I also have included the "team" name into the Forum Avatar as you can see to the left.

I agree with this being a good question. We are actually Team DeGarmo. I did not know once you set your geo 'name' you could not change it, so mdegarmo is really team degarmo, my wife two boys & me. We all love the geocache's and many a time it is our boys (8 & 61/2 y/o) who will see the cache first before the geoparents. (it' s soo funny how you can put 'geo' in front of anything when dealing with geocaching! geocar, geodog, etc..). and yes, the micros just does not thrill the little ones vs. a regular cache with the 'rare' McD's toys like they just got at lunch before we went goecaching! I think the question had been answered, just wanted to share. thanks

Edited by mdegarmo