North Setting

smac1313

Being new to Geocaching I'm not sure if I should be

using a Magnetic North or True North setting in my

GPS? :rolleyes:

It's irrelevant most of the time. It has no effect on determining coordinates. It only matters if you need to project a waypoint, or if you're using a separate compass to determine direction. If the latter, setting it magnetic north eliminates the need to figure in the declination.

Looks like you're in Maine.

True north and magnetic north are around 20 degrees (west variation) apart in Maine. That's quite a variation.

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/seg/geomag/declination.shtml

If you simply follow the GPSr to the cache, it won't matter.

If you follow a handheld compass, then set your GPSr to magnetic. That way, your handheld compass and the direction your GPSr indicates will be the same.

FYI - To convert:

From true to magnetic, add 20 degrees.

From magnetic to true, subtract the 20 degrees.

This only holds true for a WEST variation. The rules are reversed for EAST variations.

Looks like you're in Maine.

True north and magnetic north are around 20 degrees (west variation) apart in Maine....

Yes, but remember that magnetic declination varies quite a bit around certain areas (yes, the Bermuda triangle included). I don't see a reason not to set it to magnetic north. :huh::huh::huh:

Thanks for all the info on my topic of MagNorth or TruNorth.. Magnetic it is!!

Smac1313

Not many of us True North people replied but I say use True North for everything. That is how you look at maps. And any compass worth owning has a declination scale so that it reads bearings in True North. Think True North like our maps and all coordinate systems.

Smac1313

Not many of us True North people replied but I say use True North for everything. That is how you look at maps. And any compass worth owning has a declination scale so that it reads bearings in True North. Think True North like our maps and all coordinate systems.

Well put!

Smac1313

But most people, most of the time, are not using maps in any way that makes that relevant, especially since they already have coordinates and a GPS. However, they may be using a hand-held compass, and not having to bother with the declination is a plus.

I use magnetic north. This way when I'm at ground zero and not moving I can align the GPSr to a compass without worrying about the deviation.

Hate to through a ringer into this. But you didn't say what kind of GPS you have. The answer could change if you have an on-board magnetic compass in your GPS or not.