Microsoft Streets & Trips Doesn't Recognize My eTrex

betabob2

I recently purchased Microsoft Streets & Trips 2007. Unfortunately, it doesn't recognize my Garmin eTrex. If I ask Streets & Trips to scan ports to find my GPSr it says there is no device found. I know, though, that my computer can see my GPSr because GSAK finds it just fine. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I have been having problems with my 76CS when interfaced with MS Streets & Trips 2007. I have been connecting it to my notebook via the serial port. It finds it but every so often, especially when i am zoomed in and tracking with gps the Streets & Trips crashes. it is quite a pain if you're driving in an area that you don't know your way around.

I have the settings on the GPS set at NMEA in/NMEA out and baud rate set at 4800. Can I interface with the USB cable into Streets 2007?

Any help would be great

GeoMonkey5

Can I interface with the USB cable into Streets 2007?

S&T requires NMEA which is a serial standard. You can use a USB connection with Spanner which is a free download from Garmin. Spanner adds a virtual com port interface so that you can send NMEA data to Streets&Trips. It works fine with my 76C :)

Thanks for the quick reply! :) But now that leads me to a couple of other questions.

Can you download waypoints from mapsource to S&T? I can't seem to get the co-ord format for S&T the same as the cache format.

Can you interface directly with mapsource so that you can see your location in real time displayed on your notebook?

Thanks a ton PDOP!

G5

Can you download waypoints from mapsource to S&T? I can't seem to get the co-ord format for S&T the same as the cache format.

No. S&T can import data but cannot directly up/download data. See This page hopes to clarify importing waypoints (optionally with URL data) into Microsoft Streets & Trips. The process is the same from the 2003 through 2007 versions.

Can you interface directly with mapsource so that you can see your location in real time displayed on your notebook?

You'll need nRoute which is a free download from Garmin.

Notes:

* Brings Garmin's award-winning auto-routing navigation to your laptop, utilizing the larger screen to display a large map and easy-to-read directions.

* Performs turn-by-turn route assistance and previewing, including spoken turn reminders and automatic recalculation when off-route.

* Tracks your location using either north-up orientation or vehicle-direction up.

* Finds places and easily routes to all points of interest and addresses that your MapSource product provides.

* Allows you to customize the places that you want to find and route to quickly using 'Find'; for example, 'Nearest Gas' or 'Nearest Italian Food'.

* Provides driver with information, including upcoming cross-streets, street addresses, speed, bearing, and elevation.

* Provides multiple trip computers that allow you to track distance, time, and speeds for business or personal use.

* Allows importing and exporting of user data to and from MapSource files.

* Works with all MapSource products. Note that BlueChart and MetroGuide 5 or greater will not support some features.

* Designed for use with the GPS 18 and GPS 10, but will work with almost any Garmin GPS over serial or USB.

* Available to MapSource owners as a significant improvement and expansion of the real-time tracking capability. Takes advantage of your installed map product's capabilities. For example, you can find an address and it will auto-route on any auto-routing map, like City Navigator.

* This version of nRoute no longer supports Windows 98, Windows Me, and Windows NT

Thanks so much! All of the frustrating things I have been complaining about and they're all gone. Thanks for taking the time with me PDOP. I will be sure to pass on this info to other "Tadpole" buddies.

I am planning on taking a driving trip to BC in the next couple of years. I will make it my mission to do at least one of your caches.

Real quick, here is my "get-around" to see cache locations while I drive.

Download to GSAK, and set filters.

Export to GPSr. GPSr interface must be set to GARMIN.

In GSAK, under file, go to export, Microsoft S&T. Export to easy to find location.

In S&T, import data. Easiest to just use natural settings, don't change.

This will put pushpin on map at all cache locations.

Change interface setting in GPSr to NMEA OUT. (On mine, the second one down).

In S&T, Tools, set for GPS tracking.

Now, should see a pushpin on the map as the little circle denoting yourself approaches. Zooming in or out has no effect, but allows you to see local routes if required to get to cache location.

Edit to add-- when driving, I keep Garmin set to "waypoints, nearest". This way, the cache I am seeing on the map will usually be the one on top in the GPSr. I can zoom the map and determine if it is accessible with my vehicle. All routing and computer work needs to be done BEFORE THE VEHICLE IS IN GEAR.

Edited by Trucker Lee