.Loc and GPX question

wrz0170

I have a newbie question regarding loc and gpx files. I think I figured out that loc files contain the coordinates of the cache and gpx contain more specific information to that particular cache.

In using GSAK and geocache.com, I realized that I could click on numerous caches in my area and download them in one batch file and open them up. They would auto populate some of the fields, however other fields were blank or missing info unless I downloaded the gpx file. When I do, the rest of the fields would populate.

Is there a way to dowload the gpx files en masse? Or if there is another easier method of doing things, I am all ears for listening to other methods or ways of transferring data.

Thanks!

Are you able to help or should i start a new post?

I have a Mio P350 and have just downloaded GpxSonar and GSAK and are trying to follow the step by step guide to start GeoCaching, I am told to "request a Pocket Query from Geocaching.com"

How do i do this?

also I have MemoryMap 2004 will i be able to use this software?

I hope you can help

Regards

You have to be a Premium member to get access to the gpx files. Well worth it. the difference between .loc files and .gpx files for info is night and day.

i made a couple queries and it says they ran but I still have not recieved the email. did I miss something?

I did check the zip files.

EDIT: came to a different email then my membership email :huh:

Edited by Sole Wolf

You have to be a Premium member to get access to the gpx files. Well worth it. the difference between .loc files and .gpx files for info is night and day.

I might be missing something in all this since I use my laptop with the .loc files, but I see all the info I need from the .loc when viewing it with my Mapsource software as I do with the .gpx files. Of course, I don't have a PDA and that's, I'm told, is where all the difference is. I am comtemplating getting a PDA, especially considering we tried our first paperless cache hunt this weekend with my "bulky laptop.

--Will

Loc files tend to work fine on a laptop because the cache listings are in the browser cache, or if the laptop has an active wireless network connection.

GPX files entries includes the complete listing, where the .loc file listings contain only the the most basic listing info and a link to the geocaching.com entry.

I use an old Palm device (m125) with a magellan GPS companion clip-on receiver for caching. For software I use Cetus GPS v1.12b which has really good support for geocaching. On the PC, I save the zipped gpx files to a certain directory, and run a batch file that unzips the zip files and then uses gpsbabel to combine the gpx files and output a palm database(pdb) file that works with Cetus and an html file that I can browse on the PC.

I can then sync the pdb file with the m125 and I have the waypoints, descriptions and even the hints ready to go caching.

I might be missing something in all this since I use my laptop with the .loc files, but I see all the info I need from the .loc when viewing it with my Mapsource software as I do with the .gpx files. Of course, I don't have a PDA and that's, I'm told, is where all the difference is. I am comtemplating getting a PDA, especially considering we tried our first paperless cache hunt this weekend with my "bulky laptop.

--Will

Will, if you open each up each type of file in a program like GSAK then you will see the difference. .gpx files gives ALL of the info pertaining to the cache including past logs, hints and the entire description of the cache. A .loc file only gives limited info. This is what makes .gpx files much better for paperless caching.

My advice is to buy any old cheap, used palm from ebay. A cheapo will work fine for caching and you won't cry for long if you crush it or drench it.