You never know what you'll find.....

Averith

My wife, son, and I went out geocaching in the in the Milwaukee area this past weekend. Lovely day really, sun was shining wasn't too cold and all around great day to go geocaching. As we pulled up to a small park where the cache was hidden and began walking into the woods my wife noticed a small bag on the ground. She bent down to pick it up thinking that it was probably just garbage. When she did pick it up she noticed that it seemed like something was inside. When she opened it up she got quite a shock, inside the bag was a small hand gun!! She carefully placed the bag back on the ground and we called the police. Half an hour later the police arrived and removed the gun, but what a find!! The officer said it was a cheap .22 caliber gun, not loaded but bullets where in the bag so if a kid or someone intent on doing harm found it who knows. We're glad we were able to get one gun off the streets of Milwaukee anyway.

My wife, son, and I went out geocaching in the in the Milwaukee area this past weekend. Lovely day really, sun was shining wasn't too cold and all around great day to go geocaching. As we pulled up to a small park where the cache was hidden and began walking into the woods my wife noticed a small bag on the ground. She bent down to pick it up thinking that it was probably just garbage. When she did pick it up she noticed that it seemed like something was inside. When she opened it up she got quite a shock, inside the bag was a small hand gun!! She carefully placed the bag back on the ground and we called the police. Half an hour later the police arrived and removed the gun, but what a find!! The officer said it was a cheap .22 caliber gun, not loaded but bullets where in the bag so if a kid or someone intent on doing harm found it who knows. We're glad we were able to get one gun off the streets of Milwaukee anyway.

You two did the two most important things right: She set the bag down CAREFULLY, and then called the police.

Good for you, I'm serious.

I'm not one of those that is anti-gun, I own guns and I enjoy target-shooting, but obviously you came across a firearm that was certainly not properly stored, for which there is no excuse.

People find guns occasionally, and one of the worst things you can do if you realized that you just picked up a stray gun is to drop it.

Who knows if it was cocked, or if the springs/safeties inside would stand up to the shock of being dropped?

Anyway, you did well.

BTW, if I was alone and found a weapon of any sort, I'd probably quickly add a waypoint on my GPSr and then leave the weapon in place and leave the area before calling the police.

You can't be 100% sure the 'owner' of the weapon isn't nearby; sure, he/she probably isn't around, but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way.

And if, when the cops arrive, they can't find the weapon even if you lead them right to where you saw it, the cops may be irritated and might ask why you didn't stay with it or pick it up.

Well.........

#1, you were not legally required to guard the weapon, and #2, if it's gone when the police arrive, it probably indicates that it was a good idea to not stay with the item, if you know what I mean.

No rule is hard and fast, exceptions abound everywhere, and had the weapon been near a playground or other area likely to have kids around, I would probably try to secure the weapon myself the moment I found it. Maybe.

$.02, ~K

We found a cheap BB gun in a park where we have (had) a cache a couple of years ago. We figured it had been left by the neighborhood kids, but we picked it up and took it home. The barrel was rather rusty. I didn't think about calling the police about that one, since many kids have BB guns. We just didn't want to leave it there for some 6 yr old kids to find and start playing with. We cleaned it up and added it to our collection. (We all do some target shooting from time to time.)

I found a syringe when I was out on friday.

I carefully took a few steps back. Almost lost the find cause of it

Let me guess... was this in Central Park in Burnaby? I found a small bag of about 10 needles stuck in a tree root. Thanks god all of them were capped otherwise I would have poked myself when I pulled the bag out.

&%*&*%^ Druggies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found a syringe when I was out on friday.

I carefully took a few steps back. Almost lost the find cause of it

Let me guess... was this in Central Park in Burnaby? I found a small bag of about 10 needles stuck in a tree root. Thanks god all of them were capped otherwise I would have poked myself when I pulled the bag out.

&%*&*%^ Druggies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, actually. Horseshoe Bay. The "Waiting for ferries" one. I have a friend who owns a building in that area and have permission from him to plant a cache, but got beaten to it. blerg.

Edited by mamid

Well, it's not a firearm, but it WAS unusual!

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/sue...hilecaching.jpg

You have to understand that we were in the middle of nowhere...on a road that you had to have a 4 wheel vehicle to drive on it...no people in sight anywhere...and there it was....looking like it was JUST dropped! No animal bites, no ants on it...it was very odd!

dude that is a find inf it self looks like it was just cooked.

You have to understand that we were in the middle of nowhere...on a road that you had to have a 4 wheel vehicle to drive on it...no people in sight anywhere...and there it was....looking like it was JUST dropped! No animal bites, no ants on it...it was very odd!

Looks like someone lost their manifold meal. I lost a burrito like that once while out wheeling.

Looks like someone lost their manifold meal. I lost a burrito like that once while out wheeling.

5 second rule :P !!

5 second rule :P !!

yeah, we decided to let sleeping "dogs" lie! <_<

5 second rule :drama: !!

yeah, we decided to let sleeping "dogs" lie! :blink:

seeing as you don't know ware it has been, probably for the best- then again as far as hot dogs are concerned out of the packedged they can be scary.

Ok here is one for you. Not that I want to admit it but this is one of my caches that did not get a chance to be out there for very long it went missing and here is what I ended up posting on the cache page when I went back to re place the cache.

OK Ok Ok live and learn when it comes to placing caches and locations. I went out that night and found the cache but there was no way that I could reach it. So I came home and figured out a way to cammoe this cache a little different. I decided to go out today to place the cache to find........are you ready for this.......a body that is right a dead body laying right where my cache was placed....not cool. I have learned my leason I hope when it comes to location. I will NOT be placing this cache back in this park however I wish to keep the this series in play so I will be placing it somewhere else. To all I am sorry about the location. Hope I find a much better place soon.

This cache is number 1 of my micro series titled MMM #1 (GC11MBV)

Pretty scary if you asked me.