Frisbee Rule

RUFFLEDOSTRICH

I'm entirely sure that there's a topic that covers this, but search doesn't seem to find it...

The "bestest" woods in my area seem to be privately owned, but the land changes hands every six months or so and nobody seems to pay taxes on anything. They just buy it, drill to see if it is lucrative for them to build condos, find out that it's not and sell it.

There are hunter's stands, adults and adolescents exploring the woods at any given time, and I've lived up in some of these places for more than a week in a tent when I was in between teenagerhood and post-teenagerhood (as well as marraige-hood and divorce-hood) LOL

They are still, technically "private property" even though the hunters and campers don't seem to know this.

Is this a lucarative cache placement option? The only reason that I know that this is private property is bc I researched the land to make sure that I'm on the up-and-up. I've been advised of the "frisbee rule". Just want to hear some feedback to see what national opinion is as well as reviewer's.

I'm entirely sure that there's a topic that covers this, but search doesn't seem to find it...

The "bestest" woods in my area seem to be privately owned, but the land changes hands every six months or so and nobody seems to pay taxes on anything. They just buy it, drill to see if it is lucrative for them to build condos, find out that it's not and sell it.

There are hunter's stands, adults and adolescents exploring the woods at any given time, and I've lived up in some of these places for more than a week in a tent when I was in between teenagerhood and post-teenagerhood (as well as marraige-hood and divorce-hood) LOL

They are still, technically "private property" even though the hunters and campers don't seem to know this.

Is this a lucarative cache placement option? The only reason that I know that this is private property is bc I researched the land to make sure that I'm on the up-and-up. I've been advised of the "frisbee rule". Just want to hear some feedback to see what national opinion is as well as reviewer's.

I would have a few questions, such as if there are private property signs posted? If it's possible at all to get a hold of the land owners and receive permission for the cache placement, that would probably be the best thing to do.

As far as the frisbee rule goes, the neighbor kids were playing frisbee in my yard and I had to chase them out, so i guess it depends on who is playing frisbee. I guess the rule would only apply to responsible frisbee players :D Seriously though, you can play frisbee in National Parks, but a lot of the time you can't geocache, so I'm not sure if the frisbee rule is a good standard.

Edited by ReadyOrNot

NO private property signs...land owners are companies and when I first started caching I tried to find out through the municipality who owned the land...they laughed and said, "if you know, then tell them to pay taxes on it"

In fact one of my Girl Scouts owns land that backs up to this land and has an outstanding lawsuit that transfers with the deed to pay for lawnmowing labor.

When I say..."technically private property" I mean that there is public property that is less accessible. Just was inquiring about Groundspeak's rules.

I'd be wary of caching or placing a cache in an area where there are hunters and tree stands. However you said people camp in the same area so it must be somewhat safe. Unless the hunters are doing all the camping and maybe you are a hunter/camper/trapper/fisher...geocacher?

Um... I'm not sure what to think. It's the hunting part that makes me nervous

If the land has been in public use for as long as anyone can remember, for all intents and purposes there is a public access easement on it. If someone took the time to dot the i's and cross the t's that easement could be made a matter of record. (Rules on adverse possesion vary by state)

I would not hesitate to place a cache in such an area. I would also fish, hunt, and play frisbee in the area as well.

As for lucrative...I'm not sure you will make a lot of money, and if people are on the land as often as you say...you will need to be careful with your hide or accidental finds will happen.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Um... what is the "frisbee rule"? (A search on google turns up stuff about hazardous waste sites.)

The frisbee rule as applied to geocaching is:

an informal "understanding" that unless otherwise regulated, if you don't have to ask permission to play frisbee there then you shouldn't have to ask permission to Geocache either.