is there a best guess?

dale hollow lake

when going for a cache on a long trail hike in the trail is flat, straight, and the last set of numbers on the handheld gps (example) N36 53.340, and your goal is to get to N36 53.240 can you estimate the distance you have left to walk. any info on these numbers will help as you can see by my question thanks for takng the time

Edited by dale hollow lake

Google is your friend...

Each degree of latitude is approximately 69 miles (111 kilometers) apart. The range varies (due to the earth's slightly ellipsoid shape) from 68.703 miles (110.567 km) at the equator to 69.407 (111.699 km) at the poles. This is convenient because each minute (1/60th of a degree) is just about one mile.

A degree of longitude is widest at the equator at 69.172 miles (111.321 Km) and gradually shrinks to zero at the poles. At 40° north or south the distance between a degree of longitude is 53 miles (85 km).

1 minute in Latitude averages close to .869 miles

At 0° N or S Longitude 1 minute is .867 miles

At 40° N or S Longitude 1 minute is 1.132 miles

Edited by Syndam

Since I saw this thread pop up...I had to think of where I have seen this come up before! I did a little searching and I found an article written by one of the locals from where I am from on the numbers of the corrdinates. I thought it was really helpful. Not sure if this is EXCATALLY what you are looking for, but it is a step in the right direction.

The Coords are Off 23 Feet! No wonder I can't find that blasted film can! By Rick Angelin, aka AB4N

Since I saw this thread pop up...I had to think of where I have seen this come up before! I did a little searching and I found an article written by one of the locals from where I am from on the numbers of the corrdinates. I thought it was really helpful. Not sure if this is EXCATALLY what you are looking for, but it is a step in the right direction.

The Coords are Off 23 Feet! No wonder I can't find that blasted film can! By Rick Angelin, aka AB4N

thanks I copied a portion of it and will paste here because its the info I was looking for,

this questioned wasnt intended to dispute a cache location, but i ran out of light on a hunt and wondered about how close I had gotten: this is part of the formula the article u refered mentioned

A single number difference in the latitude coordinate is equivalent to approximately 5 feet. A single number difference in the longitude coordinate is equivalent to approximately 6 feet. If the latitude coordinate were off by .002 and the longitude off by .003 the error in the coordinate set would be 20.78 feet. The following chart illustrates the distance of error in feet if the coordinates are off from .001 to .009

thanks I copied a portion of it and will paste here because its the info I was looking for,

this questioned wasnt intended to dispute a cache location, but i ran out of light on a hunt and wondered about how close I had gotten: this is part of the formula the article u refered mentioned

A single number difference in the latitude coordinate is equivalent to approximately 5 feet. A single number difference in the longitude coordinate is equivalent to approximately 6 feet. If the latitude coordinate were off by .002 and the longitude off by .003 the error in the coordinate set would be 20.78 feet. The following chart illustrates the distance of error in feet if the coordinates are off from .001 to .009

Hey, well there you go! I knew that article had some relation to what you were trying to find.

when going for a cache on a long trail hike in the trail is flat, straight, and the last set of numbers on the handheld gps (example) N36 53.340, and your goal is to get to N36 53.240 can you estimate the distance you have left to walk. any info on these numbers will help as you can see by my question thanks for takng the time

I teach science and can "guesstimate" distance from cords, or could break out maps and a compass if I had to, but I freely admit that I am spoiled by my technology.

I let my GPS tell me how much further it is to the cache.

Since I have it set on the cordinates for the place I am going to, it constantly updates the information about how close I am (straightline) to those cords.

... I let my GPS tell me how much further it is to the cache.

Since I have it set on the cordinates for the place I am going to, it constantly updates the information about how close I am (straightline) to those cords.

That's what I was thinking but could it really be that simple of a question?

ok this might be my best night on here didnt know that was an option Ill have to find out how that is done garmin csx60

Can you open a PDF?

Quick start instructions

Mark a waypoint, use the toggle button to change the name of it and the cords to the ones you are going to, tell it OK by highlighting OK and hitting your ENTER button.

Page through the screens by hitting your PAGE button until you see a screen with a bunch of options including one that says "Waypoints" and choose that "waypoints" icon.

Scroll through the list until you find the one you made, (You might have to change your options to "select by name")

Select the one you made by using the scroll key to get down to it until it is highlighted

Push the ENTER button to open up that waypoint.

Use the rocker key to move to the "go to" part of the screen and make it highlighted and hit the ENTER button again.

Page through your screens to see all your options--You might prefer your "pointer" (map) screen or you might prefer your compass screen (I use both at different times).

Hitting the "QUIT" button takes you back one page, which makes it easy to move back and forth between the compass and map screens.

(Hope this is all right, I have the 76 and not the 60, but I think they use the same terms!)

My sincere apologies if I told you things you already knew---I just wrote this like I was writing instructions for one of my high school students to read!)

Edited by Neos2

ok this might be my best night on here didnt know that was an option Ill have to find out how that is done garmin csx60

When you use the "Goto" funtion and tell the GPS to go to the waypoint you want the pointer screen has the distance to the waypoint on it.

We have two cachers in our area that are called Blonds Run Amuck. They are great gals and friends of mine now so I'm sure they won't mind me sharing their first caching experience. But it involved trying to get the little numbers to match up on these GPS thingies. They drove around for a long time until the little numbers got closer and closer. Then when they got near the cache they zig-zagged all over the place until one of them finally hit the jackpot. It's one of my favorite local caching stories and we have laughed about it over a few beers more than once. :)

My GPS tells me exactly how far I have to go. No figuring needed. Isn't that the point of having one?

Edited by briansnat

:):) So it really was that simple, I was thinking you had some other reason to ask...

Can you open a PDF?

Quick start instructions

Mark a waypoint, use the toggle button to change the name of it and the cords to the ones you are going to, tell it OK by highlighting OK and hitting your ENTER button.

Page through the screens by hitting your PAGE button until you see a screen with a bunch of options including one that says "Waypoints" and choose that "waypoints" icon.

Scroll through the list until you find the one you made, (You might have to change your options to "select by name")

Select the one you made by using the scroll key to get down to it until it is highlighted

Push the ENTER button to open up that waypoint.

Use the rocker key to move to the "go to" part of the screen and make it highlighted and hit the ENTER button again.

Page through your screens to see all your options--You might prefer your "pointer" (map) screen or you might prefer your compass screen (I use both at different times).

Hitting the "QUIT" button takes you back one page, which makes it easy to move back and forth between the compass and map screens.

(Hope this is all right, I have the 76 and not the 60, but I think they use the same terms!)

My sincere apologies if I told you things you already knew---I just wrote this like I was writing instructions for one of my high school students to read!)

thanks this should do it, maybe i can beat the blondes now lol.

You will also need to make sure that one of the data fields on your navigation screen is "distance to destination". If not you will need to change the data fields and select distance to destination as one of the data fields.

You will also need to make sure that one of the data fields on your navigation screen is "distance to destination". If not you will need to change the data fields and select distance to destination as one of the data fields.

One of you great people sent me the instruction for getting the distance to destination, which wasnt there b4 but is now, if I ever learn all the tricks of a menu, and I thought my golf swing was complicated