Best Sub-$200 Unit

sheeter

Between all those I'd go for the Venture CX. Its the only one of the three with expandible memory.

You might also want to look at the Lowrance H20 if you're looking for bang for the buck. For $220 you can get the H20 Plus and that includes detailed maps in the price. Maps are about a $100 add on if you buy any of the three you mentioned. The H20 is B/W display and doesn't do autorouting (turn by turn driving directions) like the Venture CX and eXplorist do, but if that isn't a feature that is important to you, then the Lowrance H20 Plus might be something to check into.

I happen to love my eTrex Legend (not the CX - that's right, it's B&W). The screen is a little larger than the color versions. I just don't think I need the color. And although it doesn't have expandable memory, I rarely have to delete and add more maps (from Mapsource topo CD). It holds most of Vermont, the Adirondacks, New Hampshire's white mountains, and a few maps from NJ and Maine where my family and the in-laws live.

Just my two cents... Also, Garmin has excellent customer service. I dropped my 5 year old Legend down the stairs at home (hit one carpeted step then landed on tile), so I emailed them to see how much it would cost to fix it. Long story short, they replaced it for free!

Maybe if you want to load the streets CD and want turn by turn directions while driving, you'd need something fancier...

Also, I just found my first cache on Sunday!

Cathy

I'll second my experience with the explorist 500. At $180 from Costco after rebate (I think the deal might be over now) WITH topo 3d, it was a great deal.

I just got my Explorist 500 a few weeks ago and really have been enjoying it. I originally got the LE model, and had to buy a couple Li-Ion batteries. With the AAA clip, it eats batteries quickly (about 4 to 6 hours). With the Li-Ion battery it works for a long time. I haven't found out how long yet. But it does last more than 8 hours!

I used to have a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx. But for geocaching, I like the way the 500 navigates better.

This was my first unit too so i had no basis for comparison. I did go with the Li Ion batteries (I got 3 on ebay for $4.00 each) and have gotten 16-18 hrs out of a full charge. $30 total for 3 batteries, shipping, and a charger. Trying to find out how long it takes to charge a dead Li-Ion battery right now.