Gps Transfer Maps Error

Jeepsrock

Yesterday i purchased a corsair 1gb micro SD card at frys and am in the process of trying to transfer maps to my gps unit (gpsmap 60cx). I opened mapsource and selected the maps i wanted to send on city navigator 8 and on the west top map. The total size was about 800mb with less than 600 map sets. I click send and it finds the device and does three things. First it says building index files which it actually completes in 15min then it proceeds to build map sets and that also completes in about 10 min , the third step is what always fails sending map set. The process halts and i get this error msg (please see pic below).

I tried using different batteries and it seems to always fail during that third process. If i select smaller areas (<500mb ) it sometimes works.

maperrorgj6.th.jpg

Any ideas would be appreciated.

pete

Edited by Jeepsrock

Yesterday i purchased a corsair 1gb micro SD card at frys and am in the process of trying to transfer maps to my gps unit (gpsmap 60cx). I opened mapsource and selected the maps i wanted to send on city navigator 8 and on the west top map. The total size was about 800mb with less than 600 map sets. I click send and it finds the device and does three things. First it says building index files which it actually completes in 15min then it proceeds to build map sets and that also completes in about 10 min , the third step is what always fails sending map set. The process halts and i get this error msg (please see pic below).

I tried using different batteries and it seems to always fail during that third process. If i select smaller areas (<500mb ) it sometimes works.

maperrorgj6.th.jpg

Any ideas would be appreciated.

pete

It is a difficult process if you use the unit!

The USB lead should be providing the power not the batteries.

Have you updated the Unit software?

I would never bother to load that quantity of maps using the unit [it is sooooo sloooooooooow], use a fast card reader.

Is the MapSource software up to date?

You are not leaving much room on the card for all the extras - POI and track recording

Edited by strumble

I agree you a 100% thats its a lot to transfer using itself, but technically it should work. I just tried to use the mapsource update and it says i am up to date and i have additionally tried the web update software. I have also tried it with and without batteries and it always fails with the same msg.

Any other ideas would be appreciated ?

pete

I agree you a 100% thats its a lot to transfer using itself, but technically it should work. I just tried to use the mapsource update and it says i am up to date and i have additionally tried the web update software. I have also tried it with and without batteries and it always fails with the same msg.

Any other ideas would be appreciated ?

pete

Couple of things to try:

Can you transfer tracks and waypoints back and forth to the GPSr? That would verify that the USB connection and interface settings are OK.

Can you load maps to the original card? If so, that would indicate problems with the new card.

If you have a card reader try to load the maps that way; if that works it would vindicate the card and suggest a communications problem.

Try having the GPSr write tracks to the card, and see if you can access them on the computer.

Here is an update to my problem. I verified that i have the latest version of mapsource manager and indeed i do.

After that i proceeded to try copying the maps thru my card reader and a similar error occurred. At this point i though it was solved and my new 1gb card was bad, i remembered that my phone has a 1gb microsd card also, so i removed it and tried to copy maps on it using mapsource and the same error occured. I am guessing that there is an error with my usb cable or ports at this point. I try another port and remove the usb extension i use and nothing changes.

On the other hand if i use the 64mb card it came with the transfer runs fine.

Is thier some setting on my PC or driver for larger drives or something any ideas would be great.

Thanks

pete

Yes i do have all the updates from the link that strumble posted.

Also the link posted by NeoGeo basically talks about a few things which it seems i have covered.

1. Have USB cable plugged directly to PC with no extensions and or hubs.

2. MicroSD card firmly seated properly.

3. Software and Drivers (USB ver 2.1 and Mapsource ver 6.116), Updated

Currently i am going to try this all over on my Laptop and see how that goes.

I will let you guys know how it goes.

pete

Well i just got done with the laptop and the transfer actually completed successfully the first time around, i am gonna guess my PCs USB is not agreeing with the larger files.

My next issue is that it seems that i have an odd character/image while i was panning around on the map. Can someone check to see if they have the same weird thing or maybe explain what it is ? Zooming in or out doesn't get it to go away.

dscf1683ei9.th.jpg

Thanks again guys,

pete

Any chance that the desktop machine went into screensaver mode while transferring the 800MB map set (the 64MB card obviously is transferring a lot smaller map set)?

I have had problems when transferring files to my PDS when the screen saver kicked in before the transfer completed. Just thought it was something to mention.

Well i just got done with the laptop and the transfer actually completed successfully the first time around, i am gonna guess my PCs USB is not agreeing with the larger files.

My next issue is that it seems that i have an odd character/image while i was panning around on the map. Can someone check to see if they have the same weird thing or maybe explain what it is ? Zooming in or out doesn't get it to go away.

dscf1683ei9.th.jpg

Thanks again guys,

pete

I see that same image when viewing that area <_<

I wonder what it is, or is supposed to be. It is on the I-5 truck bypass. Maybe it is an abandoned semi trailer :huh:

I've seen those before; I think they are freeway exit/entrances, but not sure. However, I can't see that one or any others tonight, either in MapSource or own my 60CSx.

I've seen those before; I think they are freeway exit/entrances, but not sure. However, I can't see that one or any others tonight, either in MapSource or on my 60CSx.

Can anyone confirm that they have that same symbol or graphical thing at the same location. I ask because i honestly don't remember ever seeing that before.

pete

I don't have the western USA map segments loaded, so I can't check that specific location. However, I've seen that exact same graphic on my 60CSx in a couple of different locations. There's another thread, from a few months ago, that discussed these mystery symbols; I believe the consensus was that they're supposed to be freeway signs of some sort, and that they're displayed becasue of erroneous map data. As far as I've been able to tell, they're an occasional annoyance but otherwise hamless.

--Larry

Can anyone confirm that they have that same symbol or graphical thing at the same location. I ask because i honestly don't remember ever seeing that before.

pete

Since my previous post I played around with it, and finally saw it on my 60CSx. It's very touchy on the 60CSx, only at certain zoom levels, and I had to tinker with map settings to see it. There is also one to the north, where the I5 and 99 split. I believe these are the same ones I've noticed before. I don't see them in either MapSource or nRoute.

These seem to be some sort of artifact associated with the truck bypass road. If you click on the road it straddles, its label is "I-5-Truck Byp S", and if you look closely at the symbol, it has "5-" on the left and "YP" on the right, with just about enough room in the middle to cover up "Truck-B" (don't know what happens to "I-" on the left and " S" on the right). The bypass road at the I-5/99 split has the same label and the symbol is the same. There is also an "I-5-Truck Byp N" road, but the symbol seems to be associated with the I-5-Truck Byp S road. I haven't found any "non I-5-" roads; would be interesting to see what those might show.

It doesn't seem to be a very functional symbol; I think it might be something in the NavTeq database that has some functionality in other mapping programs, but gets accidentally displayed by the Garmin handheld algorithms.

A few additional observations -

The symbol is the same one used as a label on the basemap for some highways in Canada and Mexico (but not in the US as far as I can tell). On those the text is black against a white background. The two that are showing up on I-5 seem to be associated with the CN maps and have white text, which is why the only text that shows is the text sticking out on either side of the box. I looked at the same areas on my 60CS, and they are there, but with black text and "Truck-B" can be seen. I keep both the 60CS and 60CSx in the default daytime color scheme; out of curiosity I just tried some of the other schemes, but it doesn't change the box or the text color.

Edited by Hertzog

I had the same experiences as the OP, except I was using the stock 64Mb card. I have a bunch of USB cables laying around and kept trying different ones finally I found one that works and used it since.

Just to check to see if it was a fluke, just before I post this I tried a random cable and received the same error again.