# of finds diminishing?

Dreamerx4

One topic I am having a hard time locating is why does my "finds" number decrease every once in awhile. I have lost 2 finds mysteriously in the just the last couple of days. I would think that if a log is deleted for some crazy reason, that I would get an email, but I haven't. I am religious about logging DNF's, I don't log caches that I haven't signed, I email answers to virtual caches requiring them etc. I believe I "play" as I am supposed to so am not sure why the numbers change for no apparant reason.

I like the icons, number of finds, etc, etc. Mostly just enjoy getting out and finding new places. I am not competing per se, just like to have more than a close friend :lol: does.

Thanks for your time, and assistance, now time to go out and reclaim those numbers...

Strange indeed. You should get a log deletion notice if any logs are deleted. And that should be the only way your find count could drop. I have no ideas, beyond maybe check your spam folder for log deletion notices? You have enough finds that trying to check through them for the missing finds would sure be tough.

I am really stumped. We were at 445, then dropped to 442, up to 460, now back down to 458. I keep a good eye on it, but can't figure it out for the life of me. We don't have the spam folder active, it cut out way too many important emails, and missed quite a few of the bad ones.

Thank you for your help, I really do appreciate it!

I believe it can happen from time-to-time when a cache is "unpublished" for whatever reason. Your find simply vanishes into the ether.

No, if a cache you've found is retracted, your find count shouldn't change. You'll still have link to the log, but you can't see the cache. My user account has two such finds.

One topic I am having a hard time locating is why does my "finds" number decrease every once in awhile. I have lost 2 finds mysteriously in the just the last couple of days. I would think that if a log is deleted for some crazy reason, that I would get an email, but I haven't. I am religious about logging DNF's, I don't log caches that I haven't signed, I email answers to virtual caches requiring them etc. I believe I "play" as I am supposed to so am not sure why the numbers change for no apparant reason.

I like the icons, number of finds, etc, etc. Mostly just enjoy getting out and finding new places. I am not competing per se, just like to have more than a close friend :anicute: does.

Thanks for your time, and assistance, now time to go out and reclaim those numbers...

Which 'finds' number are you referring to?

The number that is on the cache page next to your log only updates when the cache page does. The number on your most recent find should be correct, but what is shown on older finds might be stale.

Your situation is really strange! Once again, if someone has deleted your logs you should have received an email stateing that your log was deleted!

I am not competing per se, just like to have more than a close friend does.

Of all the things that you said....this was a little sketchy to me!

Edited by Super_Nate

It is just a friendly competition. My buddy actually was the one who introduced me to Geocaching back in June of '05. We were neighbors in Alaska, and are still close friends even though I now live in Virginia. He is really trying to get us to go out to San Diego next month, and I am trying to get him to go to Geowoodstock in May. Neither of us will get the other to actually accompany us, but like to run the numbers up to goad eachother on. :laughing:

Thanks for the input on my original question, I don't save all the finds in GSAK, just use it for downloading to my pda and gps, that stretches my understanding of what GSAK has to offer in the first place.

Haven't received any emails showing that I have had logs deleted, so I am at a loss. Oh well, just have to get out there and find more!