Help with my Explorist 600 uploads?

Crpnter1

I've owned my Explorist 600 since last May and STILL I am manually entering my caches. I know, shame on me! COuld someone PLEASE set me straight with this? I'm hardly computer illiterate but I am totally lost with this, even using the instructions. I don't know if it has something to do with converting the files or what. Very simple, detailed help would be great at this point. Thanks!

1st you need to download the pocket query (from here) of your selected caches in .GPX format

If it comes as a .zip file, unarchive it using PKUNZIP or similar

Take the .gpx file and open it with GSAK or the software that came on the Magellan CD

Then upload that to your GPS

NOTE: The GPS must be connected and setup as per the instruction (are you able to see the GPS as a drive on the computer) - it will act just like a removable media device if it is connected properly.

Hope this helps...

DD

I've owned my Explorist 600 since last May and STILL I am manually entering my caches. I know, shame on me! COuld someone PLEASE set me straight with this? I'm hardly computer illiterate but I am totally lost with this, even using the instructions. I don't know if it has something to do with converting the files or what. Very simple, detailed help would be great at this point. Thanks!

To unzip my pocket query files, I just copy and paste them into a desktop folder; double click on the zipped file; and then copy the opened (unzipped) file back to the original folder. I also rename them with the location at this point.

To transfer the points, just use the Magellan Geocache Manager - a very easy program. Open the manager, then open the .gpx file (unzipped). Select Transfer, send geocaching points to GPS.

I have the 600 and struggled with different software for a long time... I finally gave in and used the software that came with the unit. It quickly puts the coordinates into the unit (just remember the 200 cache/file limit!) - but it does't do anything else. I use GPSonar for the hints/description on my PPC and the combo works well for what I need/want it to do. Plus, it's all free (or you already own it). It's not a cache manager so don't confuse it with GSAK... but it is easier to use (at least to me) and most importantly, it does work. It changed how we cache and resulted in finding more caches in different places without having to print out and input manually a thousand different caches.

Good luck!

I can't imagine going back to using Geocache Manager after using GSAK. It doesn't take long for learn to sort for exactly what you want or don't want sent to your GPSr and does it very quickly. As an added bonus, if you have a PDA with Cachemate installed it will also send all the cache data directly to it.

I use it to upload cache info to my eXplorist 600 and with a couple more clicks upload the same info to a friends Garmin unit too.

If you haven't tried GSAK download it, load some pocket queries in and play with it. You can't break it :D