Happy New Year, Geocachers!

ClayJar

Well, since J. and I just celebrated the New Year at her apartment here in Fukuoka, Japan, I figured I ought to share the joy with all the rest of you (especially since my cats back in Baton Rouge won't be celebrating for another 15 hours or so). So, from the two of us to all of you...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

...and remember, have fun, don't drink and drive, have your pets spa... wait, that one was Bob Barker's line... :anitongue:

Geo Ho and I will also be having a geocacher's New Year's Eve.

We'll be spending a semi-quiet night eating, drinking, and merry-making with a few other geocachers. We'll be spending the night because I refuse to drive with all the amateur drinkers on the roads.

Which reminds me:

Have fun people, but be safe! Getting injured or dead can really put a cramp in your caching!

We'll be spending the night because I refuse to drive with all the amateur drinkers on the roads.

Amateur drinkers? :anitongue: Why the distinction ... unless ... does that mean there are professional drinkers out there also? :anitongue:

Soooooo many career choices for the ambitious 21st century frat boy. :rolleyes:

Happy New Year Clayjar et al!

Swing through Birmingham on the way home Clayjar, the light is always on for you!

We remembered the year and anticipated the next with an event - GCYJGN and night cache run afterward.

Man I love this game and especially the folks that play it!

CIMG1111.jpg

Have fun, be safe, and may the coming year bless your life,

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
We'll be spending the night because I refuse to drive with all the amateur drinkers on the roads.

Amateur drinkers? :anitongue: Why the distinction ... unless ... does that mean there are professional drinkers out there also? :anitongue:

Sort of.

New Year's eve (and St. Patrick's day) bring out lots of people who don't usually consume alcohol. They aren't really aware of how it effects their body, reactions, and judgement. Because of the delay between intake and effect of alcohol, they may not know they've had enough until they've already had too much. They are more likely to drive impaired or do stupid things because of this.

People who drink on a more regular basis usually have an idea where their personal limits are.

Of course, some people are just irresponsible or have poor judgement. Those people are a constant danger every day, not just 2 nights a year. Unfortunately those types can't be avoided, but I can try my best to stay off the road 2 days a year and out of the path of destruction the "amateur" drinkers add to the mix.

Of course, this is all just IMNHO, based on years of observation. YMMV.

Since we've veered off topic I will add my ditto to Mopar.

I attended a roll-out party put on by Microsoft in Atlanta Nov. 20 1979. They had some kind of software to show off for a new-fangled computing machine that was being called a 'Personal Computer', whatever that was. Had windows or something in it.

Champagne, buffets and excitement at the Omni Hotel, a lavish party at the Fox Theater afterward... decided to drive home to Birmingham around 1 a.m., didn't feel in the least drunk.

Combination of a long day, lots of good food, a few drinks... I awoke 92 days later in ICU, broken up from head to toe, spent 2 YEARS in the hospital, had 42 bone graft surgeries over the next 20 years, lost a leg in the end and will be in pain the rest of my life.

I had made it 120 miles before going to sleep and hitting a bridge support post in the median.

My girlfriend in the car was unhurt - I can't imagine how I would live with myself if these injuries had been hers instead of mine (She had a poor choice of men and died in a DUI wreck with some yahoo almost to the month ten years later).

Cured me of drinking, and also of driving on holidays when drunk drivers are plentiful.

Be careful out there, it's just not worth the risk.

Ed

Combination of a long day, lots of good food, a few drinks... I awoke 92 days later in ICU ...

Thanks for the testimonial, Rambler. That was ... well, sobering.

Alcohol is serious stuff. So is fatigue. In aviation we have strict rules in place intended to guard against the effects of both. Maybe if the same philosophy were applied to the roadways we wouldn't have the current ratio of 10,000 auto fatalities to each air fatality.

The crack I made, by the way, was a friendly jab at Mopar for his choice of words. I was making fun of language, not drunkenness. Some of the things drunks do are funny; some of the things drunks do are tragic. Mopar makes a good point about people who don't know their limits.

Of course, some people are just irresponsible or have poor judgement. Those people are a constant danger every day, not just 2 nights a year.

Stupidity is a self-curing disease – but sometimes unsuspecting innocents become victims of that 'cure' as well. :anibad: I support strong penalties for DUI/DWI. I think a first offence should earn jail time.

Unfortunately those types can't be avoided, but I can try my best to stay off the road 2 days a year and out of the path of destruction the "amateur" drinkers add to the mix.

Very wise. When you say 'amateur' I think what you probably mean is 'inexperienced.' Either way, it’s trouble.

I’m not judging you, Rambler – your deal was horrible no matter how you look at it, except to say that I believe I speak for all of us when I say we’re all glad you’re still with us! :ph34r:

I hope the new year finds you and everyone else comfortable, healthy and happy. :mad: