any good maps?

citonyc

does anyone know of any good maps to use? im currently using the mapquest links on the cache details page.

ive tried using cachfever and googles new earth map and although they provide an aerial photo ( google provides 3-d rotation) they are both

extreamly outdated !! for example i have lived in my house coming up on 5 years now and both google and cachfever show my house in the construction stage !!

does anyone know of any current maps available??

does anyone know of any good maps to use? im currently using the mapquest links on the cache details page.

ive tried using cachfever and googles new earth map and although they provide an aerial photo ( google provides 3-d rotation) they are both

extreamly outdated !! for example i have lived in my house coming up on 5 years now and both google and cachfever show my house in the construction stage !!

does anyone know of any current maps available??

You didn't indicate what kind of System you are using.....PDA/BT GPS..... Garmin.....etc.. a lot depends on the capabilities of what you have... The most recent images of my house are from 1986.....don't even show the Wal-Mart just down the road that they're already talking about replacing.... And most of the TOPO maps are even older. (But I still LOVE EM')

You didn't indicate what kind of System you are using.....PDA/BT GPS..... Garmin.....etc.. a lot depends on the capabilities of what you have... The most recent images of my house are from 1986.....don't even show the Wal-Mart just down the road that they're already talking about replacing.... And most of the TOPO maps are even older. (But I still LOVE EM')

the gps im using is the garmin 60csx

but what im talking about is internet maps or i havent looked at maps that might be available for purchase yet!.

as stated ive been using just the mapquest links which give you a good general idea of the area but nothing with arieal or sat. photos

I think I just figured out your nickname. Love it! :huh:

Ed, (AKA: TheAlabamaRambler), usually offers sage advice. ALK Technologies serves the needs of over the road truck drivers, so I'm betting they take steps to ensure their products are updated regularly. Looking at their site, I see products for laptops, PDA's and even cell phones, but I don't see one that would integrate with a Garmin. Their products seem pricey, but if you want the top of the line in anything, you gotta expect to pay more.

There are a ton of map links on every cache page - google earth maps can be used as either map or satellite. They've been updating the satellite views like mad lately. It actually killed a great puzzle cache southwest of you in Florida - the puzzle depended upon the satellite view having caught a big airliner over an identifiable terrain feature, they updated - no plane. Anyway, I'm finding the satellite views in Florida to be pretty up to date, especially along the coasts and around Orlando. Are you using the maplink from the cache page? And you can buy Garmin's mapset for that GPS. My husband has it in his, it's pretty current.

If I am working on a cache in a particularly tricky area I'll go buy the topographical map from the local sporting goods shop. They run six dollars for the section. In addition, a plat book is handy to keep in the car. They can be rather expensive (about $35.00) but since they are published annually they are more reliable than online maps.