Cache placement “State” Land ?

GP-Hiker

Hi all.

I have some large tracts of state owned land near me that is designated as Public hunting land.

According to the sign posted this is open to most public activity, with the exception being motorized vehicles.

Hunting season is very limited, but caching is a year round activity.

Would it be OK to place a cache on this land?

It’s a very large piece of land that could handle multiple caches. It has wide open trails you could drive a truck down with rolling hills, ponds, etc.

I tried calling DNR but the women that answered the phone couldn’t answer my question.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Michigan State Parks have a geocaching policy and, at present, a fee (which is often waived). Contact the ranger station for the park and ask them (which park are you looking at?)

The Michigan Geocaching Organization's site has more information and would be a better place to ask about this, since it's state-specific. There are ongoing discussions with the DNR, and this fall, the DNR started placing their own caches, so progress is being made.

Hope to see you on the MiGO boards!

EDIT: I reread your post, and it sounds like it may be a State Game Area, as opposed to a State Park or State Recreation Area. Game areas are unfortunately off-limits. The reasons are beaurocratic and have to do with where the funds come from.

Edited by Dinoprophet