Newbie here with a question about my Explorist

The Ditch Doctor

I am a newbie and I have an Explorist 200. Now I know this is not a high end device. In fact I have bought an Ique 3600 and I am waitign on its arival sometime next week.

I have never done much with the Explorist except see how fast I was driving. I would like to be able to go out an hunt for caches while I am waiting on my new unit to arrive.

My question here is simple. Can somebody please help me understand how to punch in a set of co-ordinates so I can go hunting?

Thanks for your help in advance.

The Ditch Doctor

hit the mark button, and change the coodinates to match those of the cache, then hit goto, choose the waypoint you just made and follow the arrow on the compass

I have done that but how do I change the coodinates?

After you hit mark, you should be on the edit screen. Use your joystick to scroll up to the coordinates. press down the joystick, now you can edit the latitude. Then press doen on the joystick again. edit your longitude. press down on the joystick. now scroll down, give your waypoint a name, scroll down to save. press down the joystick, and you're done.

READ THE MANUAL

I did this too. Nowhere in the manual does it describe the scenario or exact steps for what seems like a basic use case scenario - entering a set of new coordinates. Why the rude answer particularly in this Newbie forum?

It is totally unintuitive to hit MARK then change coordinates to create a new coordinate to save. I figured it out, but it is NOT good user experience design. Actually, so far, most of the instructions are vague - eg, obtaining and using maps, .loc files and MapSend Manager, MapSend Lite, etc.

Forums and other users are the most useful instructors and help resources anywhere.

Thanks to all who give helpful information here. "READ THE MANUAL" is not helpful.

Edited by GG528

I've also noticed that following the steps described in this thread that tracking starts automatically and I have to manually go and stop/clear the track. Is this normal and what others do? I have a Magellan eXplorist 500. And yes, I am a newbie but having fun learning.

hit the mark button, and change the coodinates to match those of the cache, then hit goto, choose the waypoint you just made and follow the arrow on the compass

I have done that but how do I change the coodinates?

After you hit mark, you should be on the edit screen. Use your joystick to scroll up to the coordinates. press down the joystick, now you can edit the latitude. Then press doen on the joystick again. edit your longitude. press down on the joystick. now scroll down, give your waypoint a name, scroll down to save. press down the joystick, and you're done.

Ok I have done this now how do I actually edit the data?

I did my first 300 or so caches with the eXplorist 200. My last 300 or so have with the eXplorist 500. (Most of the middle 300 were with Etrex legend, which I hated.) If anyone has questions on the 200 or 500 email me and we'll arrange a time that I can talk you through it step by step on the phone. The 200 I've got down pretty good. The 500 I' still learning since there are so many more features. As an aside, the 200 was probably the most accurate unit I've ever used.

I did my first 300 or so caches with the eXplorist 200. My last 300 or so have with the eXplorist 500. (Most of the middle 300 were with Etrex legend, which I hated.) If anyone has questions on the 200 or 500 email me and we'll arrange a time that I can talk you through it step by step on the phone. The 200 I've got down pretty good. The 500 I' still learning since there are so many more features. As an aside, the 200 was probably the most accurate unit I've ever used.

Is your 200 more accurate than your 500? Have you held them in proximity to see if the cords are different?

As an aside, the 200 was probably the most accurate unit I've ever used.

Is your 200 more accurate than your 500? Have you held them in proximity to see if the cords are different?

The 200 and 500 use the exact same antenna and receiver. There should be very little difference between the two, and any difference there is will not be due to the hardware involved.