The caching resolution

mishyfoot

Okay, so when 2006 started off I made a promise to cache more and reach 100 finds. It started off really good... I mean, I am not a huge cacher so logging one or two caches a week was good for me.

well, by feb. i had forgotten about that resolution.

i just remembered it last night, and decided that these final 2 weeks of 2006 i would find 74 caches, reaching my resolution!

im thinking 6 a day would be ideal... but today i only got 4 done...

are there any tips you vetrans have for finding caches as fast as possible?

Okay, so when 2006 started off I made a promise to cache more and reach 100 finds. It started off really good... I mean, I am not a huge cacher so logging one or two caches a week was good for me.

well, by feb. i had forgotten about that resolution.

i just remembered it last night, and decided that these final 2 weeks of 2006 i would find 74 caches, reaching my resolution!

im thinking 6 a day would be ideal... but today i only got 4 done...

Urban caches and many eyes make for light work. If you aint' found it in 5 min, move on to the next cache.

Yeah, don't.

Being rushed doesn't add much to the game and will ultimately result feeling burnt out.

Go at your own pace, you'll enjoy yourself and your surroundings more.

Remember when you went through that small town and spotted that small shop/cafe with the interesting name? Next time pull over and check it out. They just might serve a really good piece of blueberry pie.

It depends on where you live, but there are some places where you can easily bag 74 caches in a day. Nashville TN, Jacksonville Fl and Erie PA come to mind. If you live within a few hours drive of one of these, or similar places, get a team together with a driver. Map out a route and hit the road.

Or you can forget about the resoultion and numbers and find caches whenever the mood strikes you. You will probably enjoy it more than pursuing some arbitrary goal and you'll be less likely to get burned out,

Yeah, don't.

Being rushed doesn't add much to the game and will ultimately result feeling burnt out.

Go at your own pace, you'll enjoy yourself and your surroundings more.

Remember when you went through that small town and spotted that small shop/cafe with the interesting name? Next time pull over and check it out. They just might serve a really good piece of blueberry pie.

Good advice normally but im thinking that the OP made this challenge for himself, so in this case, the fun is trying to complete this challenge before the end of the year.

As RK stated above, the big city is where the numbers can be gained. Do a pocket query for easier caches, do a little bit of planning, and you'll be on your way! Good luck!!! :)

Yeah, I agree, rushing just to meet a deadline makes it work, and geocaching is supposed to be fun--really--I am not kidding you.

Now, if you really just want to have some fun and see just how many you can find in one day....

Pick out say 30 caches that are easy to get to and have low difficulty and terrain ratings. Um maybe nothing over a 1.5/1.5? If they are close to each other, that is all the better.

Plot them out on a map to figure out, as best you can, where to start and what order to do them in. Don't forget to take into account where to park, and try to find at least a few clumps that you can walk to two or three or five at a time without having to jump back into the cachemobile.

Read the cache pages. Make notes, or if you are paperless, drop them into your gps and handheld. Be sure you have any items you need for special caches (cameras for photos, trade items for themed caches).

Wake up early, eat a good breakfast, jump in the car and cache until lunch. Eat a light lunch, cache until snack time, eat your snack at some great cache site, decide to do just a few more before dinner, put off dinner until dark. Eat dinner and decide to do "just one more" on the way home. Jump in the shower and then collapse in bed with a grin on your face. Wake up and log them the next day.

The hard core guys skip lunch and dinner and eat twinkies or something else equally disgusting all day long. Of course, they also sneer at the thought of a mere 30 or so in one day But "they ain't wrapped right" anyway :) Since I've never gone over 27 caches in a day, to do 30 would tickle me pink.

Hey, this sounds fun. I think I may plan a 30 day for myself over the Holiday break.

Planning - pick a few relatively easy ones, scope out the areas with Google Earth, plan out an effcient driving route. Read all the info ahead of time, make notes. Take along a friend or 2 to help out. Make sure the information is as current as possible. Move on if you haven't found it in 15 to 20 minutes. Plan on going to 10 a day so that 6 becomes easier.

My wife and I did 74 in 5 days this summer. And we drove about 300 miles each day as well.