Magellan Explorist 100

I cache with an Explorist 100, I dont mind putting the coordinates in by hand. I came up with a neat trick, if the cache is a micro I put the cache name in lower case letters and I use upper case letters for regular caches. Just press the shift button. I will probably up grade adventually to a 210 and let my son have the 100. Double check the coordinates before saving them in the GPS.

My wife has an explorist 200 that she uses for geocaching and she loves it. It gets great reception, has a very easy user interface. She doesn't mind putting in the coords by hand, she does it while we're on our way to the next cache. The 200 is essentially the same thing as the 100 but with a base map. I'm sure the 100 would make a great gps for a younger person.

I cache with an Explorist 100, I dont mind putting the coordinates in by hand. I came up with a neat trick, if the cache is a micro I put the cache name in lower case letters and I use upper case letters for regular caches. Just press the shift button. I will probably up grade adventually to a 210 and let my son have the 100. Double check the coordinates before saving them in the GPS.

Great tip! I will have to pass that one along. How are you imputing the coordinates? Are you editing a POI or is there as specific way to do it? My sister, the boys mother, keeps asking me and because I am not familiar with this unit, I haven't been much help.

~ Brayden's Brigade

My wife has an explorist 200 that she uses for geocaching and she loves it. It gets great reception, has a very easy user interface. She doesn't mind putting in the coords by hand, she does it while we're on our way to the next cache. The 200 is essentially the same thing as the 100 but with a base map. I'm sure the 100 would make a great gps for a younger person.

Hello Zeke,

I am a Newbie with an Explorist 200 and can't find info on how enter coords by hand so I can try my hand at geocaching. Could you supply some links where I can learn how to use this gps for geocaching?

Thanx,

Ray

Hello Zeke,

I am a Newbie with an Explorist 200 and can't find info on how enter coords by hand so I can try my hand at geocaching. Could you supply some links where I can learn how to use this gps for geocaching?

Thanx,

Ray

Maybe my explanation in this topic will help.

Also check out the full owners manual here.

Thanx Zeke that answered my question. Magellan leaves alot to be desired when it comes to documentation. I also have a Garmin StreetPilot i3 for my car and it works terrific and Garmin's support and mapping are very good. Do you know of a site with in-depth tutorials using an eXplorist 200 for geocaching by any chance?

Ray

Hello Zeke,

Thanx,

Ray

Maybe my explanation in this topic will help.

Also check out the full owners manual here.

Hi Zeke,

I'm happy to report that I did alot of digging online and learned more about my gps. While not ideal it does the trick and my son and I found our 1st cache! Thanx for your time and effort in replying to my questions. If I do enough geocaching I may invest in a gps that has usb capabilities to make entering coords more accurate.

Take Care,

Ray