New to Geocashing Magellan 500 or Garmin legend?

kanexplorer

Magellan eXplorist 500 Traveler Bundle or Garmin etrex legend. Both are around $200 but the Magellan comes with mapping software, rechargable batteries, auto charger and USB cable. The Garmin only comes with USB cable and mapping software is an extra $100. Which would be best to get started into Geocaching and to play with in car? Thanks for your input.

The Explorist Traveler bundle offers great value, but you should be aware of a few issues:

1. DirectRoute offers only basic autorouting. It's pretty good for getting you from point A to point B without getting lost, but the Garmin autorouting software offers more features. Details here.

2. There have been many more complaints about Magellan's customer service of late than Garmins. If you don't run into trouble, that shouldn't be an issue. And there's lots of support for explorists in this forum and at the Yahoo Explorist Users group. And new owners at Magellan may be turning that around...but until such has been demonstrated, I view this as a minus (I can say that I've never had a problem with my 500).

If the price savings still look worthwhile despite these caveats, I'd say go for it. $140 savings in a $200 package is pretty significant.

I'm sorry that I didn't see your request earlier. Ever since I purchased my 500, I've had nothing but grief from that piece of junk. I have had multiple problems with it since OCTOBER. I've sent it back for service twice already. Last week, they said that they would replace my 500. I'm still waiting for the return shipping label. It's been 10 days and I've called them three times and they keep promising me that the label will be emailed to me within 24 hours.

If you purchased your 500, try to get your money back!

I have the Explorist 500 and I love it. The auto routing works great, all features are easy to work and very accurate. Some people on message boards are fiercely brand loyal and will bash any product that isn't theirs. Weigh all posts, weed out the extreme.

I have used Magellan customer support and they were great. The customer support is in India. Have patience with them, be nice. There is a language barrier that you can work through by simply re-wording your problem so they better under stand you. Talk to them like you would a child. (I'm not implying they are not intelligent just working through the language barrier)

They resolved my problem, which was my fault and recently they resolved a shipping problem from the online store that I purchased from, also not their fault.

Everything is good.

Enjoy your 500, It's a good unit.

I got the 500LE which was a decent deal w/ topo 3d, but w/ aaa's the battery life stinks (6-8 hrs max on low light). I've ordered the battery pack in hopes of at least twice the life. Otherwise it seems to do what I want it to do although it would be nice if you could sync it like a palm as to avoid overwriting files and more streamlined desktop management of caches, both found and unfound. If I had to do it over, I might go for the etrex solely for battery-life issues. But it costs a bit more.

I am loyal to Garmin.... But.........

I had a Legend the B&W model, it worked great, if there were no trees around then the signal would be spotty. Its due to the dinky patch antenna, my old Garmin 12 has a larger patch antenna and holds signals well.

Now to the new Magellans. From the people I know that have them they are satisfied, some thrilled some not. What I can't figure out is why they went to the new patch antenna form the old Quad Helix. I think they did it because of the cost, patch I think are cheaper to produce and allow for a smaller unit.

That brings up another issue.. Antenna's. From all that I've read its not the type, Patch Vs Quad Helix its the size. Bigger antenna better luck caching, it "sees" more sky.

My problem with both the Garmin and the new Magellan's that use that funky toggle stlye of navigating, I don't like them. In my experience they are a little touchy and don't seem to last under heavy usage, like Geocaching.

When my Legend died the screen went, Garmin said it would cost $250 for a new screen, a new unit cost $149.99 at the time. I found a great deal on a Garmin 60C and bought that. My experience with it has been one of pure joy. I've dropped it (once on my concrete garage floor), stepped on it, used it in rain and cold, bashed it here and there and in general abused it (gently) and it keeps working. It can't get any better than that.

But, I know there are Magellan users out there with the same story. In short its up to the user. As for customer service... Well again both companies can be rough at times. Though it seems that I have read more negative about Magellan.

Hope this helped in some small way. Keep on Cachin'

I purchased the explorist 500 package for under $200 with shipping included.

Jumping in a little late here, but do you mind saying where you got this bundle for that price?

Thanks!

sk

Crutchfield had it, don't know if they still do, since the 500 with the rechargable batery has apparently been discontinued. I love the 3 way rechargable, but just as a safety valve I bought the AAA snp-in converter from Cabela's for about 5 bucks. After about 2 months I'm still learning the nuances, but I love it! I hardly ever use a pda anymore cuz the 500 has just about all the info I need. From what I've read it sounds like the autorouting of the Garmin mapping is better, but the Magellan program gets me where I need to go.

I purchased the explorist 500 package for under $200 with shipping included.

Jumping in a little late here, but do you mind saying where you got this bundle for that price?

Thanks!

sk

Crutchfield had it, don't know if they still do, since the 500 with the rechargable batery has apparently been discontinued. I love the 3 way rechargable, but just as a safety valve I bought the AAA snp-in converter from Cabela's for about 5 bucks. After about 2 months I'm still learning the nuances, but I love it! I hardly ever use a pda anymore cuz the 500 has just about all the info I need. From what I've read it sounds like the autorouting of the Garmin mapping is better, but the Magellan program gets me where I need to go.

I think Costco is still selling the 500LE/Topo3D package for $180.

Just google www.shopping.com search Magellan explorist 500LE. Can get it for as little as 169.00. I purchased one from BuyDig.com. It came with an offer on the TOPO map for 9.99. I tried to unlock it didn't work. I called and they told me the offer expired 31 Dec 06. They were going to try and get the offer extended and would call me back not sure if that is going to happen.

Just google www.shopping.com search Magellan explorist 500LE. Can get it for as little as 169.00. I purchased one from BuyDig.com. It came with an offer on the TOPO map for 9.99. I tried to unlock it didn't work. I called and they told me the offer expired 31 Dec 06. They were going to try and get the offer extended and would call me back not sure if that is going to happen.

I was able to use my code and download the Topo for $9.99 last night. I had a problem deciphering the code as it was not very readable when I opened the offer (sticker crap!). After a couple of tries, all worked well. Chad