question about loc files

namiboy

okay, so i just realized that i may be able to download the waypoints to my etrex legend using loc files and easygps. can someone tell me:

could i just download easygps and then just pull up a single cache on the seek page and hit the icon to download it to my etrex legend? the only thing i am trying to do at this point is not hand enter the coordinates. do i need to be a premium member just to do that? thanks.

You don't need to be a premium member to dowload individual caches or even a page of caches from your location search page. There is an icon in the upper left hand portion of the cache page that allows you to dowload that cache page.

Or if you want to do a bunch, use the search function and when you get a list of caches there is a box on the right hand side. Check the box for each cache you want to dowload and page down towards the bottom and click "dowload waypoints".

EasyGPS is one of several products that will do the job. I like it because its free and ---- easy. It will work with your Legend.

If you're looking for something much more advanced than EasyGPS, there is Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK). Its $20 but you can try it out for free. Actually you never have to pay but its worth the $20 to get rid of the annoying nag screen.

Edited by briansnat

I did the same thing...there is one thing you will run into...when U save the waypoint you have to manully make it a .loc file. Here is a website that will walk you thru setting up the Legend...this is what i have and did.

http://www.ny-geocaching.org/modules.php?n...page&pid=11

if you can't go that way go to www.ny-geocaching.org then on the left side click workshops then click Downloading Waypoints to Your GPS (Installing and Using EasyGPS) i don't think you need to be a member to use the info. I can't log out to check.. [:(]

Scott

Edited by FerrisFamilyof5

I would add that having a Premium GC membership gives you the ability to run Pocket Queries that contain A LOT more data within the file (*.gpx) versus the "free" (*.loc) file. I started out using Easy GPS (because it's free) and downloading a page of loc files at a time...but soon realized how much I enjoyed geocaching and wanted a better way to do it.

Premium Membership; GPX files containing 500 waypoints; and GSAK. Good luck and enjoy.

I would add that having a Premium GC membership gives you the ability to run Pocket Queries that contain A LOT more data within the file (*.gpx) versus the "free" (*.loc) file. I started out using Easy GPS (because it's free) and downloading a page of loc files at a time...but soon realized how much I enjoyed geocaching and wanted a better way to do it.

Premium Membership; GPX files containing 500 waypoints; and GSAK. Good luck and enjoy.

yessir, i just want to make sure i will continue with this before i go premium...