Can't upload to GPS-- help PLEASE!

hikerT

I bought a Magellan eXplorist 400. I am trying to upload gpx files to GPS. I finally have them in EasyGPS program, but can't send them to my GPS. I open the file, click send to GPS, then a new box opens... it wants me to SAVE, and the file line shows only UPT file, ??????? what the heck is going on???

I could be wrong, but I think that model saves the waypoints as a file that you then have to drag and drop onto your GPS.

Did it come with Magellan's transfer software?

Also, you may have better luck getting an answer if you can have the moderator move this thread to the GPS Units and Software section.

I bought a Magellan eXplorist 400. I am trying to upload gpx files to GPS. I finally have them in EasyGPS program, but can't send them to my GPS. I open the file, click send to GPS, then a new box opens... it wants me to SAVE, and the file line shows only UPT file, ??????? what the heck is going on???

Don't know about easygps as i use GSAK (YEAH GSAK)but that aside.You have a cd that came with t he 400 and on it is a program ie file manager that will take gpx,loc files and put them on the 400.I suggest you look at the program.I use it once in a while to do things rather than fire up other programs.Although GSAK does EVERYTHING period andi can't say enough about this program and how it helps you.It needs to be registered to allow more than 10 locations at a time but then what is the cost of speed anyway..............

hope this helps

It needs to be registered to allow more than 10 locations at a time but then what is the cost of speed anyway..............

I think you are confusing this with CacheMate.

GSAK does come up with a nag screen after 21 days, but it is fully functional and there are no "size" limitations.

The trial version of CacheMate only allows 10 caches.

Although GSAK and CacheMate work well together, they are two completely separate programs by different authors.

I have switched back to using the Magellan Cache Manager which came with the GPS. I was able to upload .loc files, but a lot of info is left off when viewed on the GPS. I am now using the MCM again, not EasyGPS, but am finding I cannot convert .loc files to .gpx files with this program.

I like to download entire search pages on gc.com, and put them into MCM, then group into one big file to put on the GPS, but they are .loc files. If I want it to be a .gpx file I have to download each cache page separately, then open each one into MCM, then put into one folder, THEN upload to GPS. Any shorter way to do this??

I have also tried to do a pocket query, but seem to get either no results, or an error when I open it.

One more thing, I have read that there is an in depth manual for the eXplorist 400 on the magellan website, but I cannot find it anywhere. Can anyone tell me where i can find it, or post a link to it?

Thanks

Edited by hikerT

:santa:

http://www.magellangps.com/assets/manuals/...rist_400_en.pdf

There ya' go

Norm

I have switched back to using the Magellan Cache Manager which came with the GPS. I was able to upload .loc files, but a lot of info is left off when viewed on the GPS. I am now using the MCM again, not EasyGPS, but am finding I cannot convert .loc files to .gpx files with this program.

I like to download entire search pages on gc.com, and put them into MCM, then group into one big file to put on the GPS, but they are .loc files. If I want it to be a .gpx file I have to download each cache page separately, then open each one into MCM, then put into one folder, THEN upload to GPS. Any shorter way to do this??

I have also tried to do a pocket query, but seem to get either no results, or an error when I open it.

One more thing, I have read that there is an in depth manual for the eXplorist 400 on the magellan website, but I cannot find it anywhere. Can anyone tell me where i can find it, or post a link to it?

Thanks

:mad:

Edited by RRLover

I have an explorist 400 and when I plug it into the USB port I simply get the message that the device has malfunctioned and then it shuts off. I have tried different computers different USB ports and always the same result.

Please help entering coords manually is killing me!

Do you have a SD card and card reader? If you do, then you can just transfer the data directly to the data card from a program like GSAK.

I have an explorist 400 and when I plug it into the USB port I simply get the message that the device has malfunctioned and then it shuts off. I have tried different computers different USB ports and always the same result.

Please help entering coords manually is killing me!

Do you have a SD card and card reader? If you do, then you can just transfer the data directly to the data card from a program like GSAK.

No I don't have a card reader, but I am getting one and I finally figured out what it means by run the USB cable down the back of the GPS NOT Back of the computer. Anyway I got it to work, but I still like the card reader advice!

Card readers are wonderful. My laptop has them built in, but I also have a Lexar Jumpdrive, for use with other computers. Most printers now have card readers built into them which you can use if you want. I like having a portable drive, though, and the Jumpdrive works just like those sold as thumbdrives, but it's more versatile because you can change out the card and have as much storage as you like. It's also a handy storage case for the card. For <$20, it's a good buy.