GPS Assistance

Gralorn

As my IPAQ 1950 did not have Bluetooth and I had purchased a bluetooth BT-338 GPS, annoyingly I decided to just go for the simple option and buy the Mio P550 with built in Sirf III GPS. Have read the manual front to back, but it does not explain how to set up or use the GPS. I have Memory Map V4 loaded, could someone explain how I use it! Please........... I get lots of TIMEOUT messages, but that's no help. Does Bluetooth need to be on? I'm really in the dark as I'm a non-techie and any assistance would be most appreciated. :cry::huh:

As my IPAQ 1950 did not have Bluetooth and I had purchased a bluetooth BT-338 GPS, annoyingly I decided to just go for the simple option and buy the Mio P550 with built in Sirf III GPS. Have read the manual front to back, but it does not explain how to set up or use the GPS. I have Memory Map V4 loaded, could someone explain how I use it! Please........... I get lots of TIMEOUT messages, but that's no help. Does Bluetooth need to be on? I'm really in the dark as I'm a non-techie and any assistance would be most appreciated. :cry::huh:

No need for bluetooth as the built in GPS uses a com port on the mio p550

On your P550

go into Start/Settings/System.

then tap the gps icon.

In the Programs Tab: gps program port is set to COM1

In the Hardware Tab gps hardware port is set to com2 . baud rate 4800.

Next in Memory Map.

tap menu/gps/setup

use these settings.

Manufacture : NMEA

Port COM2: GPS_COM

Baud 4800.

You may have to reboot to get the settings to work.

I have a Mio 550; it's annoying that this instruction isn't given with the unit, or with Memory map, and we're expected to search it out for ourselves. I use my Mio with Memory Map - let me know if there's any other help you need.

Strong recommendation - get a waterproof covering for the Mio, otherwise one drop of water on the screen can put you out of action for weeks (see the thread "splodge"). I got an Aquapac.

Whilst talking about Memory Map. I've just got a MIO 550 - finally got the GPS setup with Mem Map! Quick related question. The map doesn't scroll when you move - is there a way of doing this? I've had to pack the MIO away now because it is for Christmas after all!! So didn't have much time to play with so the question may have been asked already somewhere.

Chris

The map doesn't scroll when you move - is there a way of doing this?

At the bottom of the screen, just to the right of centre, there's an button that looks like a padlock.

Toggling this button locks and unlocks the GPS position indicator on the map.

When locked, it will hold the position indicator, initially, in the middle of the screen. But you can then drag the map to put the indicator anywhere on the screen.

In the memory map menu, you can also programme your buttons to do certain functions, like zoom in, zoom out, lock/unlock etc...

Also mentioned above are timeouts. This happens quite often, while Memory Map is waiting for the GPSr to get a reliable, usable fix. Just a quirk of Memory Map. Unfortunately, soemtimes, I find the only way to stop the time outs, even after a fix is avaialable, is to do a soft reset. Then, if you have a built in GPSr give it some time to obtain a fix again before opening Memory Map. The time it takes to get a fix, will mainly depend on how far you have moved since it last had a reliable fix.

Hope this helps.

GPS working well thanks for advice, had read the manual from page 1 to 100 and nothing about it!! Hope that we do not get to many DNF's as a tear drop on the screen may be inevitable and do not have a Aquapac! Thanks for assistance, now trying to remember how to get Cachemate back on. <_<:mad:

Chris I've been out to play with mine and when on lock as advised above the map does indeed scroll very well, quite impressed to say the least. It gets my vote as I now have cachemate, Memory Map 1:25,000 maps and a built in GPS all on the one PDA. Paperless caching is getting nearer!!! :rolleyes:<_<

I'm using 1:50,000 maps on my PDA. Are the 1:25,000 significantly better for geocaching (i.e., worth the extra cost)?

I believe so as they show field boundaries and much more detail on footpath routes etc

Mind you I use MM printouts (PDA too fragile IMHO!)

Yes,I knew that it shows those - we have a couple of the 1:25,000 paper maps. What I was wondering, is whether this is of significant value for caching, in the experience of people who have used them.

I'm using 1:50,000 maps on my PDA. Are the 1:25,000 significantly better for geocaching (i.e., worth the extra cost)?

I believe so as they show field boundaries and much more detail on footpath routes etc

Mind you I use MM printouts (PDA too fragile IMHO!)

Yes,I knew that it shows those - we have a couple of the 1:25,000 paper maps. What I was wondering, is whether this is of significant value for caching, in the experience of people who have used them.

I think it is worth using 25K maps on a PDA as if you read them properly it helps to know which side of a hedge a footpath runs and more particularily which side of a watercourse you should be - I'm usually on the wrong side. And if the PDA is GPS enabled or linked it is sometimes possible to home in on the cache. :)