Need some help Picking a GPS to buy......

medic2523

Hello all,I hope everyones Holidays are going well.I have a few questions about picking a GPS unit out.What I am looking for is either a handheld,or automotive unit with the following functions.At work,most people have the Garmin street pilots because they have the ability to be put in emergency vehicle mode,which really helps when going to assignments because it disregards U-turns and such,so this is a nice feature,although not required.What I don't like about the Garmin is the fact that I couldn't use it for Geocaching due to no Direct Lat-Long inputs,which is just nuts seeing how expensive these things are.I used a Sony GPS last night,it was nice but was hard to use in a hurry,but at least it gave the Lat-Long so if I needed to call for a Helicopter I could give the Coordinates to the pilot,again nice,but not nessessary.I guess basically I want something that I can use for automotive navigation,and have the ability to Geocache.I have about a $500 dollar buget,give or take a bit.Any help would be appreciated as I am activly researching all this now.Thanks for the help in advance... :D .... :)

Hello all,I hope everyones Holidays are going well.I have a few questions about picking a GPS unit out.What I am looking for is either a handheld,or automotive unit with the following functions.At work,most people have the Garmin street pilots because they have the ability to be put in emergency vehicle mode,which really helps when going to assignments because it disregards U-turns and such,so this is a nice feature,although not required.What I don't like about the Garmin is the fact that I couldn't use it for Geocaching due to no Direct Lat-Long inputs,which is just nuts seeing how expensive these things are.I used a Sony GPS last night,it was nice but was hard to use in a hurry,but at least it gave the Lat-Long so if I needed to call for a Helicopter I could give the Coordinates to the pilot,again nice,but not nessessary.I guess basically I want something that I can use for automotive navigation,and have the ability to Geocache.I have about a $500 dollar buget,give or take a bit.Any help would be appreciated as I am activly researching all this now.Thanks for the help in advance... :ph34r: .... :ph34r:

The Garmin 60 and 76 series (and probably others too), have the ability to turn off U-turn routing.

<snip> What I don't like about the Garmin is the fact that I couldn't use it for Geocaching due to no Direct Lat-Long inputs, which is just nuts seeing how expensive these things are. <snip>

What are you talking about? of course you can input Lats and Longs into the StreetPilots!

I used my StreetPilot 2610 for geocaching for 6 months before I went with a PDA setup,

My SP was great for caching as its got a very fast processor and with the touch-screen,

inputting new waypoints when doing a multi is a piece of cake! unlike a legend or vista etc.

And of course you get a big colour screen too. The only drawback is the unit needing external

power only, so I used a 12v battery pack in a backpack to power the unit.

One of those units that jump-start a car, only cost me $40 and has a cigarette lighter plug,

so you just plug in your SP's cable and off you go!

Dont forget to put it in off-road mode when you get out of your vehicle and start walking

off to the cache...and turn the volume down to zero so you dont look like a geo-geek! :wub:

If your emergency response takes you into dense tree cover and/or urban areas with tall buildings, get a gps that has the SiRF chip. You might also want to be able to load street or topo maps. Make sure that the Garmin GPSmap60CSx is one of the units you look at. If you buy it on line from a reseller (plenty of threads here in this forum give you leads on which) then you can get the unit and a set of maps and still be in your price range.