opinion please! 90% car/10% caching/hiking

dbcsgr

Looking for a unit that I will use 90% in the car and 10% in the woods.

I borrowed a garmin e-trex and discovered my windshield does not impede signal – in fact, the signal comes through the sunroof nicely. But the display was way, way too small.

Therefore I think I need something with at least a 3” screen..and color.

SO – please give me some suggestions for a car unit that can be taken into the woods that has the ability to

1) input geocoordinates (manually or downloadable – either is fine),

2) has a directional compass display

3) voice turn-by-turn commands

4) at least reasonably good battery strength

Any reliable brand is fine. Will use almost exclusively on the east coast. Really trying to keep the price under $500.

Thanks for your help!

given the state of gps today (dumbed-down for in-car use generally) it is difficult to find all of the features you are looking for in a unit designed mainly for in-car use. garmin's 376 would be one to consider although your price point would have to go up significantly. you would also need to purchase the maps, car kit and memory cards as these do not come with the 376.

garmin's nuvi family would work for you if you can do without the compass display. and if you're willing to consider comprimising in that way there are units made by magellan, lowrance and others that would likely be fine as well.

it's not easy to buy one gps that can do everything...

One of the benefits of a many hand-held units is that you can download "targets" from your computer. Many folks are doing mass downloads from the data on GEOCACHING.COM, which saves a lot of time and reduces the chance for a typo in the coordinates.

What's the state-of-the-art in dashboard units? My IQ3600 downloads maps, but will not accept waypoints. Do any of the newer GPS mobile units allow downloading waypoints?

I see references that some models allow downloading Points of Interest. Could a "waypoint" category be added to the POI database, allowing this feature to be used for our hobby?

-Paul-

garmin's nuvi family would work for you if you can do without the compass display. and if you're willing to consider comprimising in that way there are units made by magellan, lowrance and others that would likely be fine as well....

Nuvi's are not waterproof AFAIK. I assume that a waterproof unit is required.

What's the state-of-the-art in dashboard units? My IQ3600 downloads maps, but will not accept waypoints. Do any of the newer GPS mobile units allow downloading waypoints?

The 3600 accepts waypoints. Garmin provide a free add-in for the Palm Desktop to transfer waypoints. You can also use many other 3rd party programs, Cachemate being the best.

It is a great unit (I use one), however, the lack of water resistance prevents me from suggesting it. Otherwaise it meets the OPs criteria plus much more.

with 90% in-car use waterproof is probably not a necessity - more so a nice to have - the op would be the one to determine that.

quest doesn't have a 3" screen either...

OK, 2.7", but it is the only thing that makes his list.

I "suppose" he could say water resistance is optional....but you would not be advised to do caching with an expensive device without it.

If you don't want waterproofness, then, IMO, the iQue 3600 is the best bang for your buck. Fully integrated PDA and GPS that holds all the cache page information without limits. Large (3.5") high resolution display. Full voice navigation. $400 including maps and auto mounts. Add $35 for a battery with twice the capacity of stock and it is hard to beat. Just don't get it wet.

Edited by Red90

I use a pocket pc loaded with mapopolis which has the ability to accept waypoints overlayed over the streets. Full voice command, etc with off road use since it has compass rose, bearing arrow, distance to cache, elevation, etc. Add gpxsonar and you can use for paperless caching.

Only problem is that it's not waterproof but you can get these proteective bags to put them in for about $20.

I also have an old etrex Vista that I can use in the woods if the terrain is rough leaving the PPC protected in my pocket but avaiable for paperless cahing in the woods.

You should be able to get a used ipac 2210 or 2215 for under $175 on ebay. Add $85 for a Sirf III GPS that slips into the PPC CF slot, 80-100 for Mapopolis and you're off and running. You can also get National Geographic Pocket topo for 24K maps in your PPC for real-time topo maps in your PPC (100 for your state). I use my PPC for business too (supports and syncs Outlook to my desktop with To Do's Contacts tels, calender, games, bluetooth, music, etc.) so you have other non-caching advantages as well.

Edited by Alan2

I use my Quest for both and find it works great, especially with a small external antenna attached. As with any device that does several different things, there is a learning curve, but using the Quest in the car and for caching is really very easy once you know how to do it. I doubt you will find any other GPSr that is well suited for both functions.

looked at a few of these in retail stores this weekend - definitely going to go with the PDA option and use one of my many waterproof bags when I head out of the car.

Now, Garmin Ique 3600 looks good but reviews say it has a short battery life....Any real experience to confirm or define that better? What about the 3200?

How about the Pharos products? Any experience with any of those models?

Finally, Navman....they seem to have a few models under 500.

would like a compass display...ability to enter geocoordinates...have voice commands.

Thanks for the leads - and for any additional information.