Smart phone/ WiFi PDA help

jeff-trex

I am looking at getting either a Blackberry 8700r or a Nokia e62 smart phone. for my hardware upgrade with rogers.

I was wondering if I can use GSAK to export cache pages to the phone. Both have the same capabilities But I think I am leaning toward the Nokia E62.

is there any progam I need to get to view cache pages? or do I just use the geocaching website from the phone?

alternatively I am also looking at getting a Bluetooth, Wi-Fi capable PDA, Either a Palm TX or Lifedrive since I am use to a palm and Cachemate. Not sure how to sign up for a Wi-Fi account?

Also how do you acces the hotspots for internet access?

I am looking at getting either a Blackberry 8700r or a Nokia e62 smart phone. ...

I was wondering if I can use GSAK to export cache pages to the phone. ...

is there any progam I need to get to view cache pages? or do I just use the geocaching website from the phone?

I personally don't know if there are programs that can import GPX files for the BB or the Nokia phone. You can, however use the geocaching website to view the cache pages. If you plan to do that, I suggest using the wap.geocaching.com site. It is less "powerful" but it is also less graphics intensive. It will not use as much data to load, and thus cost less money. The data charges that Canadian cell companies charge are very high...

alternatively I am also looking at getting a Bluetooth, Wi-Fi capable PDA, Either a Palm TX or Lifedrive since I am use to a palm and Cachemate. Not sure how to sign up for a Wi-Fi account? ...

Also how do you acces the hotspots for internet access?

You are very unlikely to find wifi hotspots while you are out caching, so you won't be able to access the live site when searching. You will continue to need to use something like CacheMate for paperless caching. As I mentioned above, you could use the data network of your cellphone company (1X, GPRS, EVDO, EDGE, depending on the cell company) to load the GC.com site, but be prepared to spend a lot of money in data charges.

Prior to getting into geocaching, I had spent a fair bit of money on a PPC Phone, a BT GPS receiver and navigation software. So when I discovered geocaching, I figured that I would just use all this hardware for caching. I quickly reconsidered this as I was very worried at breaking my $600 PPC/phone or $250 BT GPS receiver while hiking/paddling to a cache. They are not built as rugged as a GPSr that is meant for the outdoors.

So I bought a relatively inexpensive GPSr (eTrex Legend) and dusted off an old Palm (a Tungsten T3) for paperless caching. I love using the GSAK--CacheMate combination for the paperless caching, and navigate with the eTrex Legend. I generally leave my PPCphone safely in the car (or at home) when caching.

Just my 0.02 worth--hope it helps.

There are "unlimited data" plans available if you are going to do a lot of surfing. Not exactly cheap though. I've been using my blackberry/web browser for paperless caching for quite a while now and find it very convienent as it is always up to date (unlike my palm), however it IS quite slow and although coverage is generally pretty good through the entire GTA and outlying areas, probably once out of every 30-40 caches I end up someplace with no reception or extreamly weak (ie. extra slow) reception. Not bad overall though.

I use a blackberry. I have it through work so there is no cost to me. The data plan for unlimited usage is $40CDN through Telus. I get data coverage everywere I have cell coverage. Problem is many places you go caching may not have Cell/Data coverage. When you are talking about WiFi I think you may be confused with the Wireless connections you can find about for Computers/Laptops. Your Blackberry or Smartphone would work just about anywhere you have Cell coverage.

I would suggest that either would work fine for you, but if you don't have to have the data package already or are not worried about the price, you may want to look at something like a palm pilot and load the caches to cachemate via GSAK or something else. I do that and it works very well. I only use the Blackberry to check to make sure a cache is up to date on the Palm, if I can't find it. Don't want to look for a while only to find out it was archived and didn't update on my palm.

Good Luck.

J

I use a blackberry. I have it through work so there is no cost to me. The data plan for unlimited usage is $40CDN through Telus.

Wow...you must get a sweet deal through work. The $40 Telus Email/Data plan for Blackberry only gets 1 MB of data per month. That's about 4 Google maps!

Because I have a PDA, I get a whopping 4 MB for $25/month. That allows me to download the headers of my email, and that's about it.

The Canadian companies can't compare to those in the US...Sprint offers truly unlimited data for $15/month. The Canadian "unlimited plans" often have a cap, written in fine print of course.

Hi Jeff-trex,

I have a Palm T|X and I love it! It has Bluetooth and WiFi and runs CacheMate just fine. Once in a while you can find a Hot Spot with the T|X while out caching but not all the time like the Blackberry but the price of access for the Blackberry makes it prohibitive in my mind. (Just cache with Fizbot who has a Blackberry and it's all a moot point!) :ph34r:

I like to have my phone separate from my PDA so that's another thing.

Good luck on your search. I noticed that Tiger Direct has them for $279.99 and Factory Direct for $299.99 (which is about average). Magicsoft doesn't seem to carry them anymore.

Annie

I notice that a lot of the "add-on" plans are not visible through the Bell/Rogers/Telus web sites.

All 3 companies offer an unlimited data package "add-on" that can be added to a plan. Prices vary and depends on what your base plan is. You'll need to check with a store in person though to find the details. Note also that not all stores are equal - some are re-sellers, some are agents and some are actually corporate stores. The plans available in each store also varies. :-(