Stash Note links are "hidden in plain sight"

Viajero Perdido

The way the Hide and Seek page is laid out right now, there's no indication the links on the right side are for stash notes. There's no heading for that section, so it looks like those are all quick tutorial links.

Somebody was asking how to find those stash notes. Now I know why he couldn't find them!

What are stash notes?? I guess I've never seen them???

What are stash notes??

They should be included with each geocache. They can be found here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/

Look on the bottom right of the page and choose which language you prefer.

For example:

GEOCACHE SITE - PLEASE READ

Congratulations, you've found it! Intentionally or not!

What is this hidden container sitting here for? What the heck is this thing doing here with all these things in it?

It is part of a worldwide game dedicated to GPS (Global Positioning System) users, called Geocaching. The game basically involves a GPS user hiding "treasure" (this container and its contents), and publishing the exact coordinates so other GPS users can come on a "treasure hunt" to find it. The only rules are: if you take something from the cache, you must leave something for the cache, and you must write about your visit in the logbook. Hopefully, the person that hid this container found a good spot that is not easily found by uninterested parties. Sometimes, a good spot turns out to be a bad spot, though.

IF YOU FOUND THIS CONTAINER BY ACCIDENT:

Great! You are welcome to join us! We ask only that you:

• Please do not move or vandalize the container. The real treasure is just finding the container and sharing your thoughts with everyone else who finds it.

• If you wish, go ahead and take something. But please also leave something of your own for others to find, and write it in the logbook.

• If possible, let us know that you found it, by visiting the web site listed below.

Geocaching is open to everyone with a GPS and a sense of adventure. There are similar sites all over the world. The organization has its home on the Internet. Visit our website if you want to learn more, or have any comments:

http://www.geocaching.com

If this container needs to be removed for any reason, please let us know. We apologize, and will be happy to move it.

Although, with stash notes, there's one thing I've always wondered about. Pretty much no matter what cache I go to, it's always just a folded up paper lying inside of there somewhere. Some people tape it to inside of the lid if it's a large container, but still... just plain paper taped there.

Once I complete building my first cache, I'm going to laminate that stash note. At least see if I can avoid it getting soggy and unreadable for a while. Wish more people would laminate it before putting it in.

Although, with stash notes, there's one thing I've always wondered about. Pretty much no matter what cache I go to, it's always just a folded up paper lying inside of there somewhere. Some people tape it to inside of the lid if it's a large container, but still... just plain paper taped there.

With my ammo box hides (which is all of them) I've laminated the stash note (~$2 at Kinkos) and purchased some high quality 3M double-sided foam tape. Then I tape the stash note either to the inside lid of the ammo box, or on the outside of the ammo box.

One of my first hides has been in the woods for two years and the stash note is still firmly attached to the outside of the box with contact information printed in large, bold letters.

Jamie

Got my weekly notification from LoBot.

Nice!

Tip of the Week: Labeling your Cache

-----------------------------

We all know that someone unfamiliar with geocaching may eventually stumble upon a cache's hidden location and wonder what it is. To easily educate folks, it's always a good idea to provide information on the outside of the container that will identify it as a cache. Include the cache name, geocaching.com website and any personal information you feel comfortable sharing. Affixing a geocaching sticker to the container is also an easy way to identify a cache. And of course - don't forget to place a stash note inside the cache to explain more about geocaching!

Once I complete building my first cache, I'm going to laminate that stash note. At least see if I can avoid it getting soggy and unreadable for a while. Wish more people would laminate it before putting it in.

That was one of the reasons I bought a laminator, it is one designed for scrapbooking, so it also will apply adhesives, magnets, etc to anything run through it. so I laminate and do adhesive for interior labelling of my ammo boxes.

Another option for durability of stash notes and permission letters is to print them on photo paper, more durable, and less prone to bleeding. It is coming up to the time when photo paper is on major sale everywhere.