Project A.P.E. Geocoin

Are_we_there_yet?

Well here's my dilema. I attended an event back in the beginning of October and won one of the raffle prizes. It was one of the Mission Accomplished Project A.P.E. Geocoins that looks like a movie ticket. When I got home and tried to activate it, I discovered that I don't have the code. I tracked down the cachers that donated the coin as a raffle prize and they just got back with me that they had bought the coin off of eBay and didn't remember getting anything else with the coin. I have checked on the Project A.P.E. website and they are rather adamant that they will not give out the activation code for any reason because when they shipped out every single coin the code was on a white sticker on the coin sleeve. This does me absolutely no good what-so-ever as it is not there now, nor was it there when I received it. But the website tells me it is my problem. Now there's some friendly customer service. Any assistance would be appreciated to help me activate this coin.

Many thanks in advance,

Kelly (Are_we_there_yet?)

Would Groundspeak maybe have the code somewhere??

If not, maybe track down whoever plopped the coin onto ebay? :)

It may not be good 'customer service', but I personally wouldn't want to be responsible for keeping track of hundred/thousands of codes. If people want to sell or trade coins they should keep track of their own dang codes :) .

Wow. And I thought I made this fairly clear the first time.

Well here's my dilema. I attended an event back in the beginning of October and won one of the raffle prizes. It was one of the Mission Accomplished Project A.P.E. Geocoins that looks like a movie ticket. When I got home and tried to activate it, I discovered that I don't have the code. I tracked down the cachers that donated the coin as a raffle prize and they just got back with me that they had bought the coin off of eBay and didn't remember getting anything else with the coin. I have checked on the Project A.P.E. website and they are rather adamant that they will not give out the activation code for any reason because when they shipped out every single coin the code was on a white sticker on the coin sleeve. This does me absolutely no good what-so-ever as it is not there now, nor was it there when I received it. But the website tells me it is my problem. Now there's some friendly customer service. Any assistance would be appreciated to help me activate this coin.

Many thanks in advance,

OK, first, "they" are "me". It's not a company, it's just me. Second, complaining about "friendly customer service" would imply your were a customer. You weren't. It's kinda like buying a car without a clear title then expecting the state to clear it up for you. The main point of the policy is that I have no idea who bought what coins and how they traded hands so I have no way of even remotely knowing that the person who is asking for an activation code should be. Beyond that, I'll contact you off-line.

The yahoo address listed on the site for the seller is bouncing all emails.

I Tired emailing them last week concerning a lost code and it bounced

Hmm. Interesting. I'll have to check that out. The email used during the sale is still active. Also, there is now only 1 email link on the site and it is acitve. And, of course, there is the forum PM and the gc.com email. I'll contact you off-line as well.

Well here's my dilema. I attended an event back in the beginning of October and won one of the raffle prizes. It was one of the Mission Accomplished Project A.P.E. Geocoins that looks like a movie ticket. When I got home and tried to activate it, I discovered that I don't have the code. I tracked down the cachers that donated the coin as a raffle prize and they just got back with me that they had bought the coin off of eBay and didn't remember getting anything else with the coin ...

Two things here, well, maybe THREE ...

1. Semper Questio is a reasonable guy and I think you'll be able to work something out.
  2. Get back with the donor and ask them for the ebay ID of the seller. Maybe you can help identify someone who is trafficking stolen coins. At the very least, if they are unwilling to divulge where they got the coin, you can post a caution here for people to beware of that seller.
  3. Sellers, this just shows that printing and attaching activation codes is just NOT the best way to transmit codes. A website that emails codes is safer. They can be set up so that info about the requestor can be captured, which keeps stolen coins from being activated by the thief.

I fervently hope that all coin traders and dealers out there have measures in place to help trace coin ownership in the case that they are stolen. If you don't, YOU are part of the PROBLEM!

Happy Trails!

Candy

Edited by Moosiegirl

[*]Sellers, this just shows that printing and attaching activation codes is just NOT the best way to transmit codes. A website that emails codes is safer. They can be set up so that info about the requestor can be captured, which keeps stolen coins from being activated by the thief.

I fervently hope that all coin traders and dealers out there have measures in place to help trace coin ownership in the case that they are stolen. If you don't, YOU are part of the PROBLEM!

Happy Trails!

Candy

Stupid question, but where would a thief get an unactivated coin? I mean are there a lot of people stealing unactivated coins from display collections and then trying to activate them? or???

It would seem most likely coins someone could easily steal would be ones placed in cache, that are presumely already activated for traveling... or Have people tried to activate coins after coping the numbers off unactivated ones and geting the activation code :laughing:

or Have people tried to activate coins after coping the numbers off unactivated ones and geting the activation code :laughing:

Yes. Part of the reason for my policy. I have encountered this very thing with the APE coins.

And the whole activation code thing is just another in a long list of "If I had known then..." items that came out of this project. Not the least of which is that I won't be doing any more coins! :laughing:

PS - The OP's situation has been resolved.

or Have people tried to activate coins after coping the numbers off unactivated ones and geting the activation code :P

Yes. Part of the reason for my policy. I have encountered this very thing with the APE coins.

And the whole activation code thing is just another in a long list of "If I had known then..." items that came out of this project. Not the least of which is that I won't be doing any more coins! :ph34r:

PS - The OP's situation has been resolved.

:laughing: some people are.... things you can say in the forums :laughing: .

Thats too bad, I thought the APE coins turned out really nice :P

First off, I would like to say thanks to everyone that replied, either here or via email. A special thanks and apology to Semper Questio if the wording that I used in my original post was found to be offensive. I didn't approach you directly and brought my question to the forums after reading everything on the website, and I figured this would be my only option to try and reach a solution. We are new to the geocoin collecting part of this hobby, as this is our first and only trackable coin. We were so happy to win this coin at the event especially when we had seen that the A.P.E. cache nearest us, around the Chicago area, has been archived. There are only a few of them left now and the chances of us ever getting to find one have diminished greatly.

Thanks again,