Gps Recommendations-Easy to Use Unit

ATHF

I want to get my father a new gps, he is really into geocaching and I hate the fact he is using such an old receiver.

What I want is one that is very easy to use and has very good accuracy and gets a great signal.

My father is technology challenged, has trouble with the vcr, so honestly would not be happy with all the bells and whistles. He is just fine with paper maps so no need for onboard maps. He would probably never figure out how to hook it up to a computer so that is also not necessary.

One thing I would like it to have if possible is a electronic compass built in so he can get a fix on the target while stationary.

He will be using it in the southwest so there are cliffs, hills the ocasional mountain, and some tree cover perhaps at some point.

He will use it for geocaching, not backpacking, or anything else.

I know very little about the different units so figured I would ask the experts.

Thanks in advance

Edited by ATHF
I want to get my father a new gps, he is really into geocaching and I hate the fact he is using such an old receiver.

The is nothing wrong with the old receiver. I have an old eMAP and new 60CSx, both units are just as reliable and accurate in most conditions. The eMAP I use with a $4 compass to handle the stationary problem. The only other difference between them is the new SiRF technology in the 60CSx which makes reception 20x better/faster and is the only advantage in moving up.

Since he is techo-challanged, would only suggest moving up to a SiRF equiped unit, other wise the upgrade won't be worth the problems of learning a new unit. Stay with the same manufacturer as this will reduce the learning curve. I know to move from something like the Garmin XL12 or eMAP to a 60CSx will be very easy as the menus and keys are very something similar.

I would suggest either a garmin etrex series or Magellan explorist series. I have used both a Garmin eTrex and an eXplorist 300. They don't get much simpler than that. When you start adding a lot of features is when things can be a little overwhelming for a technophob. The eXplorist 300 can be found pretty cheap and includes an internal compass, something dad may appreciate. It also takes AA batteries. It does not connect to a computer, so all data entry is through the keypad. The keys are on the front and well labeled. The screen is easier to read than an etrex. It has good reception.

$139.00 at The GPS Store

edit to add: link

Edited by hikergps

Thanks for all the great response.

I am looking at the eXplorist, the price difference Between it and a Garmin unit seems significant.

Any special reason Garmin are so much more?

Anyone have any other recommendations?

<edit>

Ok the Garmin eTrex Legend is the same price as the eXplorist 300.

So it is between the eTrex Legend and either the eXplorist 200 or 300

Which one would be the easiest to use for someone that can't figure out the vcr?

Edited by ATHF

meatwad would prefer the garmin - best customer support, great accessories, tons of help and fans here in case you get stuck.

I use the eXplorist, but if I had to buy right now it would be a Garmin.

if you want to stick with the maggie, take a look at the eXplorist 210. gives you the computer connectivity, and you can load maps to make the unit even better...

Master Shake: That's a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know, the French, they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

Carl: If you need anything, you know who to look to - someone else.

:blink: