GOOGLE UPDATE A DOWNGRADE?

vfrpilot

MAJOR BUMMER - I just (today) made a canoe trip with my son, loaded the TRACK into MapSource, viewed my paddling in Google Earth then noticed a update (Google Earth) was available :rolleyes:

I updated :rolleyes: & when my son came back from a B-Day party I went to show him our track & NO GO - nada :ph34r:

Suggestions????

Me too. I was very disappointed but was able to do a System Restore to go back to my previous version. I think this update is a beta version (if I remember correctly reading that) so hopefully folks wil report this problem, as I have already, and GE will make it work again.

So - you think its better to GO BACK to our previous version as this will likely NOT be fixed anytime soon?

There are threads on this in the GE support group (where problems this should be reported) and a couple here, too. Last week's beta of Earth for Windows has a build error that disallows read of GPX and LOC files.

Direct read from your GPS still works. Using GPSBabel to convert your GDB or MPS to KML still works. That specific version of Earth can't read GPX.

Me too. I was very disappointed but was able to do a System Restore to go back to my previous version. I think this update is a beta version (if I remember correctly reading that) so hopefully folks wil report this problem, as I have already, and GE will make it work again.

FYI -

No need for a system restore.

Simply UNINSTALL the newer GE, then RE-INSTALL with the PRIOR INSTALLER - works fine & I'm back to cross-viewing Mapsource/Google

Does anyone know which version of Google Earth has this problem? I am using 4.0.2091.0 and I can open .gpx files and display my tracks with no problem. I see an available upgrade to 4.0.2416.0, but I don't want to use that one if it causes a the problem.

Thanks.

I can't credit for solving this, but I can for finding the person who did:

tamichan on the GE message boards wrote:

I think I found a workaround for this problem. This may have some side-effects, but at least I could read my GPX files.

1. Go to your GE install directory, typically it is C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth

2. Rename gpsbabel.exe to gpsbabel.exe.save (or whatever you like)

3. Download GPSBabel 1.3.2 from http://www.gpsbabel.org and unzip the downloaded file

4. Copy gpsbabel.exe and libexpat.dll from GPSBabel 1.3.2 install directory to GE install directory

Note: GE seems using libexpatw.dll (Unicode version of dll?), not libexpat.dll.

Tami (Masaaki) Takamiya

I can tell from personal experience that this does work. However, GE 4 has a unique "feature" that shows the time line of the waypoints. If you don't expect it, it looks like only one will load. Stretch the timeline out, and you are golden.

Hope this helps.

Does anyone know which version of Google Earth has this problem? I am using 4.0.2091.0 and I can open .gpx files and display my tracks with no problem. I see an available upgrade to 4.0.2416.0, but I don't want to use that one if it causes a the problem.

Thanks.

I can't credit for solving this, but I can for finding the person who did:

tamichan on the GE message boards wrote:

I think I found a workaround for this problem. This may have some side-effects, but at least I could read my GPX files.

1. Go to your GE install directory, typically it is C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth

2. Rename gpsbabel.exe to gpsbabel.exe.save (or whatever you like)

3. Download GPSBabel 1.3.2 from http://www.gpsbabel.org and unzip the downloaded file

4. Copy gpsbabel.exe and libexpat.dll from GPSBabel 1.3.2 install directory to GE install directory

Note: GE seems using libexpatw.dll (Unicode version of dll?), not libexpat.dll.

Tami (Masaaki) Takamiya

I can tell from personal experience that this does work. However, GE 4 has a unique "feature" that shows the time line of the waypoints. If you don't expect it, it looks like only one will load. Stretch the timeline out, and you are golden.

Hope this helps.

VERY nice, thanks! I just tested this with GE 4.0.24.16 and it works great.

Thanks again,

MrW.