Wanted: TheMuggler in Wisconsin/Midwest

teameverest

Here is a little story some of you may be familar with....

Over the last 1 1/2 years, caches around Wisconsin have been disappearing! Now this really isn't out of place, espcially if the cache is not well hidden and is placed in a public area that is poorly chosen. But caches that have come up missing are anything from micro's to ammo cans, and even large tupperware type tub's. Why do we know it's just not a cowincidence?!

At all locations where these caches have come up missing, a standard sized envelope was left in a freezer bag, inside a letter reads......

----------------------------------------------------------------

YOU HAVE BEEN MUGGLED

TheMuggler

------------------------------------------------------------------

- A particular hard hit area has been the Green Bay, WI area ... We believe the suspect muggler lives in this region .....

- We have had reports of 'TheMuggler' striking in Minnesota, Illinois, and Iowa and seen his numbers via his notes spike to " #0104 " 104 caches this person just steals and leaves a sort of note laughing at the geocaching community.

- In 2 instances 'TheMuggler' has stated he would reinstate 2 particular popular caches set by two VERY ACTIVE geocachers if the cachers deleted their GC profile and made a new one , erasing their finds and hides from GC.com

- We believe the serial muggler is possibly a short haul truck driver in the midwest, hitting numerous caches on his routes. There is pattern showing lots of hits along major and minor interstates and highway's. But don't get me wrong, he has struck small towns deep within the woods as well.

--------------------------

If you have any information reguarding this serial muggler please forward it to use for database tracking purposes and evidence collection.

[Edited by moderator to comply with forum guidelines.]

Edited by Keystone

- We believe the serial muggler is possibly a short haul truck driver in the midwest, hitting numerous caches on his routes. There is pattern showing lots of hits along major and minor interstates and highway's. But don't get me wrong, he has struck small towns deep within the woods as well.

As the wife of a short haul truck driver, I find your idea insulting and very problematic.

For starters, most short haul truck drivers are on a tight schedule, and would not have time to run around snatching up caches along the path to their drop spots/pickups.

Secondly, the map of caches you created and posted in another forum do not look like the kinds of places/roads that are frequented by short haulers. I'd have to see a more accurate map to be sure, but I'm willing to bet that some of thise were places that the big truck aren't even supposed to be.

Thirdly, it's pretty darn hard to find parking for a vehicle of that size in places they are supposed to be, much less the odd spot on the side of the road that houses most geocaches---I'd like to see you try to park a big rig in some of the places on that map!

If I were you, I'd look for someone that has more time on their hands than the good men and women who are hauling our goods down the highway--like maybe college students? To a trucker, time is money. They pay you to get the load where it's going, they don't pay you to park it on the side of the road.

Edited by Neos2

As the wife of a short haul truck driver, I find your idea insulting and very problematic.

For starters, most short haul truck drivers are on a tight schedule, and would not have time to run around snatching up caches along the path to their drop spots/pickups.

Secondly, the map of caches you created and posted in another forum do not look like the kinds of places/roads that are frequented by short haulers. I'd have to see a more accurate map to be sure, but I'm willing to bet that some of thise were places that the big truck aren't even supposed to be.

Thirdly, it's pretty darn hard to find parking for a vehicle of that size in places they are supposed to be, much less the odd spot on the side of the road that houses most geocaches---I'd like to see you try to park a big rig in some of the places on that map!

If I were you, I'd look for someone that has more time on their hands than the good men and women who are hauling our goods down the highway--like maybe college students? To a trucker, time is money. They pay you to get the load where it's going, they don't pay you to park it on the side of the road.

I agree with Neos2 here on all accounts!

As an OTR truck driver, I know that we are on extremely tight schedule and don't have hardly any time to search for too many caches, let alone trying to find a place to park a 53 foot trailer in any parking spot other than rest areas and truck stops. I personally have only found time to find a few caches while on the road and that is because I force myself to take a break for a few mins. I regularly pass up (yes I said , pass up) geocaches on my route because I don't have time to stop. With strict DOT regs, we can only drive so long in so much time, so time is money to us and it wouldn't pay to give up that time to muggle caches.

With my geocaching experience , this sounds like the work of someone with a gps that either doesn't like the game anymore and wants to ruin it for others or someone that just plain immature and needs to get a life.

Seeing that you haven't found that many geocaches, maybe you need to have more experiences before pointing fingers!!!!

Edited by Prairiepartners

No offense intended, but why do you find the idea insulting?

Everything you just said makes a lot of sense and seems to indicate that it probably isn't a short haul driver. But I don't get the part about being insulted. The OP didn't say that your husband did it. Nor did s/he say or imply that "Short Haul Drivers are nevarious folk, and therefore it makes sense that one of those dispicable people probably did it..."

The OP made what initially to me seemed like a logical guess based on the pattern of stolen caches. The new "evidence" that you presented was a pretty arguement against that being the case. But again, why the insult? Was it just because he mentioned that the moron doing this might be a short haul driver? If that's your logic that you've just insulted all the college kids (as well as adults returning to school) across the entire country.