Unit Under $100...

Guys,

I recently purchased two Garmin 60CSx units, and let me say they are the BOMB! Loaded with features, and they can really lock into the satelltes under some heavy cover in the woods!

Anyhow, I have just one problem. I'm NOT using this unit and all it's features, and this especially holds true, when I'm hunting in the woods. (granted, I knew this was going to be the case, long before I made the purchase). Anyhow, I will probably be selling one of these new 60CSx's, as it's basically unused, and I really don't need to use it for hunting, as I had planned.

What I DO want to do, is sell this NIB 60CSx, and buy something cheaper, which will serve the purpose of taking me to and from my deer stand in the early mornings and also after sunset.

This is a relatively basic task, and I know any GPS made can handle it. HOWEVER, I would like to know WHICH GPS would be best for me to "downgrade" to???

I ask because I would LOVE to have one that LOCKS into the satellites just as well as the 60CSx does.

I also would like something considerably cheaper, preferably in the neighborhood of UNDER $100.

Does such a model of GPS exist???

What would you guys recommend?

One BIG concern I have, is that I've HEARD the 60CSx has a MUCH more sensitive antenna, and this is why it locks in so good, in heavy cover and under the tree canopy.

Can anyone tell me if there is a cheap unit that has sensitivity that is JUST as good as the 60CSx does???

I would hate to sell both of these units, and wind up with something that doesn't even hook up to satellites worth a crap....

I guess I am trying to ask "WHICH GPS (IF one such model exists???) is the BEST for under $100??" (keeping in mind I'm ONLY needing to get to and from my deer stand in the dark, under thick tree cover at times....)

Thanks for EVERYONE'S EXCELLENT help guys!!! You guys ROCK!!!

i don't quite know why you got two 60CSx's, but certainly you should keep one. For the other, if you need the same sensitivity, the only downgrade would be to a 60Cx which is not worth it.

I'd suggest getting an Etrex Legend C or Etrex Legend Cx because it will have quite good signal lock (obviously not as good as the 60CSx) but it'll be better than a plain etrex b/w or something. You could get a Legend C used for <$200 and a Legend Cx for perhaps 250 if you shop around.

Magellan, you'd have to ask someone else, I'm a garmin only user.

I don't know how it really compares to the others, but I just picked up a Garmin Foretrex 10x at Aldi's for $69.99 though it doesn't have the computer cable (it is an extra purchase elsewhere) it is very lightweight, uses AAA batteries, straps onto your wrist so you don't ever need to set it down or put in your pocket.

It certainly will do the task you stated, and meets your sub $100 requirement.

Hi,

I have a really old Lowrance Global Nav 12 and it finds Satellites everywhere and is really spot on with the coords all the time. (It has no WAAS functionality but still works fine!)

I think the good old Etrex Yellow should do the job, I never had problems with mine. I gave it away after I upgraded to a Geko, but the Etrex got a better reception under foiliage. The best thing about it, it doesn't seem to loose its value if you sell it used. People pay somtimes more for old units with the old non upgradable software than I new one is at WalMart? :huh:

I guess when it come to signal reception, SIZE DOES MATTER. The bigger the antenna, the more elektromagnetic engergy can be received by the GPSr. And sometimes a unit can be too small, especially with my "Wurstfinger" (find a German to explain what that means)!

GermanSailor

Keeping with the topic of under 100 dollars.

Explorist 100, Etrex Yellow, Garmin Geko, or Ifinder GO will all do the basic job for under 100 bucks.

Out of the three, I would choose the Explorist 100 going by reception reputation.

The Ifinder GO feels like a toy in my hand but is the only sub 100 unit with a basemap. I wouldn't trust dropping it.

I do own a Yellow Etrex (for 5 years) and it's a solid unit, but plain as you can possibly get for a GPS unit. It has survived many a fall.

Regardless of unit, you're be able to find every geocache that a high end GPSr can find, just without the bells and whistles.

Keeping with the topic of under 100 dollars.

Explorist 100, Etrex Yellow, or Ifinder GO will all do the basic job for under 100 bucks.

Out of the three, I would choose the Explorist 100 going by reception reputation.

The Ifinder GO feels like a toy in my hand but is the only sub 100 unit with a basemap. I wouldn't trust dropping it.

I do own a Yellow Etrex (for 5 years) and it's a solid unit, but plain as you can possibly get for a GPS unit. It has survived many a fall.

Regardless of unit, you're be able to find every geocache that a high end GPSr can find, just without the bells and whistles.

I guess I am trying to ask "WHICH GPS (IF one such model exists???) is the BEST for under $100??" (keeping in mind I'm ONLY needing to get to and from my deer stand in the dark, under thick tree cover at times....)

You already have the best unit on the market for this purpose. Why look for another?

You aren't going to get the incredible reception that you get in your 60CSX for under $100. The closest might be a Lowrance iFInder H20 which is around $135 and gets outstanding reception, but I fail to understand why you would ditch a 60CSX in favor of another unit.

If you just want something basic and small, perhaps a Garmin Geko 201 will do the job. You can find it for around $109 and its small enough to fit in your shirt pocket.

You already have the best unit on the market for this purpose. Why look for another?

You aren't going to get the incredible reception that you get in your 60CSX for under $100. The closest might be a Lowrance iFInder H20 which is around $135 and gets outstanding reception, but I fail to understand why you would ditch a 60CSX in favor of another unit.

If you just want something basic and small, perhaps a Garmin Geko 201 will do the job. You can find it for around $109 and its small enough to fit in your shirt pocket.

Well, if you noticed, I stated that I have no use for all these bells and whistles on the 60CSx, and I decided I would like to regenerate some cash. In all honesty, I'll probably sell both of them. I had purchased two, so my brother could use one, but he's decided he's not going to hunt this year, or go geocaching with me.

It's fairly simple really.

I just want to know if there is a cheaper unit, that will get me from point a to point b, but still maintain the excellent reception I've found the 60CSx has??? Simple as pie.

Thanks for all the help guys...

Well, if you noticed, I stated that I have no use for all these bells and whistles on the 60CSx, and I decided I would like to regenerate some cash. In all honesty, I'll probably sell both of them. I had purchased two, so my brother could use one, but he's decided he's not going to hunt this year, or go geocaching with me.

It's fairly simple really.

I just want to know if there is a cheaper unit, that will get me from point a to point b, but still maintain the excellent reception I've found the 60CSx has??? Simple as pie.

Thanks for all the help guys...

There's the iFinder H2O that Brian mentioned earlier. I'll throw the eXplorist line into the mix. You can get the basic barebones eXplorist 100 for about $100. The reception will be nearly as good as you experience with your 60CSx. It'll get you from Point A to Point B, without maps, a color screen, or PC connectivity. Spend $50 more, and you can get the eXplorist 210, which connects to the PC. For $175 you can get the eXplorist 500 with expandable memory and a color screen.

The Lowrance iFinders and the eXplorists are the most notable receivers that are cheaper than your 60CSx and will come close to the reception performance you want.

Hey Paul...I'm sure I recognize you from one of the archery forums? (PSE maybe) A fellow bowhunter? Anyway I have no better advice then these guys for you EXCEPT...Keep one of your 60s until you see if you are truly satisfied with whatever you ultimatley choose. It's hard to go backwards sometimes and the 60 is an awsome unit. Have you had any hunting luck this year? I hope you find what you're looking for and good luck hunting. Wade