GPX files with 'Long Description' included?

Punga

Hi,

is there any way to get the cache's long description right with the GPX file or would this be a feature request? It would be a great benefit, to have the long description (maybe with html tags stripped) right with the GPX because it would support the paperless seek perfectly :)

Thanks

Punga

Each cache's long description is most definitely in the GPX file. Make sure you're getting GPX and not LOC. LOC only includes name, waypoint and coords. GPX includes everything except the kitchen sink.

Is there anyway to get the kitchen sink downloaded with GPX files?

Hi,

is there any way to get the cache's long description right with the GPX file or would this be a feature request? It would be a great benefit, to have the long description (maybe with html tags stripped) right with the GPX because it would support the paperless seek perfectly :huh:

Thanks

Punga

I believe you're not opening the file with the right software. Try GSAK instead of Easy GPS.

I know that on at least a couple of local caches, when GSAK exports to Cachemate, it cuts part of the long description so if there is any info I need, I have to add notes to GSAK to include the missing info. I find that's a GSAK to Cachemate problem because all of the long descriptions make it into GSAK with the GPX file download.

I believe you're not opening the file with the right software. Try GeoBuddy instead of GSAK.

I have to admit, I'm lost too or maybe I just don't know what to look for. Very new to this. I used EasyGPS initially and got no long descriptions on my GPS (Garmin 60CSx, BTW). Just downloaded GeoBuddy and reloaded the GPX files onto my GPS and I'm STILL only getting the minimal info: name & coordinates. Am I supposed to be seeing the "long description" on my GPS or not? Thought it should be in the "note" box, right? Am I totally wrong here?

I believe you're not opening the file with the right software. Try GSAK instead of Easy GPS.

...and, if you've saved the GPX file in EasyGPS, get the original file again as you just trashed the description info by doing so.

Both of these statements are true. EasyGPS makes no use of the description in a .gpx file and will strip it out if you re-save the file while using it. However, the quote below is a bit misleading:

I believe you're not opening the file with the right software. Try GeoBuddy instead of GSAK.

While GeoBuddy is a viable option, it is no more so than GSAK, and will not extract any more info from the .gpx file than GSAK does. Both are a better option than EasyGPS when it comes to utilizing the 'extra' (description) info included in the .gpx files, but one isn't necessarily "better" than the other at doing this. A comparison of all features available in both programs should be considered in order to determine this, and personal opinion will also be a factor in making a final determination on how to actually spend your $$.

I know that on at least a couple of local caches, when GSAK exports to Cachemate, it cuts part of the long description so if there is any info I need, I have to add notes to GSAK to include the missing info. I find that's a GSAK to Cachemate problem because all of the long descriptions make it into GSAK with the GPX file download.

It's actually a limit imposed by the CacheMate software, that GSAK complies with. If CacheMate would handle longer descriptions, GSAK could output them.

Am I supposed to be seeing the "long description" on my GPS or not? Thought it should be in the "note" box, right? Am I totally wrong here?

I know of no GPS that will hold the long description from the cache page/.gpx file. I've heard of folks putting the hint into the "notes", or some basic meaningful info, but there isn't enough room for the full long description from most cache pages. The actual character limit for the "Note" field may vary by model.

Am I supposed to be seeing the "long description" on my GPS or not? Thought it should be in the "note" box, right? Am I totally wrong here?

I know of no GPS that will hold the long description from the cache page/.gpx file. I've heard of folks putting the hint into the "notes", or some basic meaningful info, but there isn't enough room for the full long description from most cache pages. The actual character limit for the "Note" field may vary by model.

Thanks for the reply, I guess I was looking for something that doesn't exist. I was thrown off by the author of this thread when he mentioned the perfect "paperless search". I assumed that meant all the info could be seen on the GPS out in the field.