Which cheap handheld GPS unit is the best?

HenrikSkak

Hi,

I am looking for a GPS unit for my nephew. He will use it for Geocaching. I have the following requirements:

1) Cheap

2) Accurate

3) Color screen

4) Mapping possibilities

5) WAAS / EGNOS

Optional) Sirf III is prefered

Optional) Geocaching mode

Which one would you recommend me? It should be as cheap as possible.

Thanks

Henrik.

When you say mapping posibilities and color screen, that brought the price right up.

The ability to map is also going to require software which could be expensive.

The Garmin Quest comes with software and will do both in-car navigation and get you to a Geocache for around $315. It's more suited to in-car navigation, tho.

The 60Cx will do both as well, but it's a little bit more focused at Geocaching and it's a little bit more rugged, plus the shape lends itself to hiking (moreso than the Quest, at least). Software will have to be purchased for around $110 so the total will be about $425 (that's after the current $50 rebate).

You could save some money by finding an older 60C model (no "x"), but you loose the expandable memory and the Sirf chipset. The Quest doesn't have the Sirf chipset either.

There are a lot of other options, but none of them are going to be cheaper than the Quest considering software will be needed for autorouting.

Your best bet might be finding a used 60Cx (or CSx if the compass is desired) from someone who could put the maps of your area on the unit for you. You would save money by buying used and not having to purchase the maps.

Good luck!

Edited by VoltageHz

The Magellan eXplorist 500 will meet all of your requirements, except for the SiRF III chipset. But you listed that as optional. I haven't checked pricing recently, but not long ago it only cost about $175.

The Garmin eTrex Venture Cx costs $150 after the $50 mail-in rebate. Again, it meets all your requirements except for SiRF III.

The eXplorist's receiver performs better but the Venture Cx is better at autorouting. Garmin's customer service is better than Magellan's should something go wrong. Some people like Magellan's file system on the GPSr.

Not the best option for geocaching but great for driving, you can get a referbished iQue 3600 (still has a 1 year warrenty through Garmin) with maps (comes with City Select but you would be able to upgrade to the latest City Navigator maps for free) and auto cradle for $238 after shipping. Nice large touch screen and can use cheap SD cards for lots of map storage.

Can be used for geocaching but the unit isn't waterproof and not as rugged as outdoor gps units, not Sirf III either.

The price on the Garmin eTrex Venture Cx looks really good.

Do I need to buy extra software like MapSource to edit waypoints on my computer?

Can I change the basemap to the european version? or maybe the worldmap? I would like to buy it in the US because it is much cheaper.

Can I use it with City Navigator Europe?

Thanks.

Do I need to buy extra software like MapSource to edit waypoints on my computer?

No extra software is required. Garmin's Mapsource is free and there are other free options out there.

Can I change the basemap to the european version? or maybe the worldmap? I would like to buy it in the US because it is much cheaper.

No, you can not change base maps.... However, if YOU look around there are versions of the World map on the internet that could be loaded onto the microSD card.

Can I use it with City Navigator Europe?

Yes. You will need a mini-B USB cable and a microSD card.

I picked up the Magellan Explorist 500 but I'm a newbee at this.

The best deal I could find is as follows:

The eXplorist 500 (with LiIon battery and charger) $175 from Amazon.

Download MapSend US Topo 3d for $9.95 using coupon code on the front of the 500 box.

If you want the AAA battery clip for backup- you can order it online, or use this alternative scenario:

the eXplorist 500 LE (AAA Battery Clip - not rechargeable battery) - with Free MapSend US Topo 3d Software $189 from www.costco.com (includes 5% charge for NOT being a member) - free shipping.

then add the Rechargeable battery and AC charger for $20 + $6 shipping from www.magellangps.com.

Both seemed very good - but I was focused on features including mapping software.

Hi,

I am looking for a GPS unit for my nephew. He will use it for Geocaching. I have the following requirements:

1) Cheap

2) Accurate

3) Color screen

4) Mapping possibilities

5) WAAS / EGNOS

Optional) Sirf III is prefered

Optional) Geocaching mode

Which one would you recommend me? It should be as cheap as possible.

Thanks

Henrik.

Crutchfield.com

eXplorist 500

DirectRoute mapping

Rechargable battery

cig lighter,AC,USB power and recharger

suction windshield mount

$259 no tax, no shipping

beat that!

Hi Henrik,

I know that you asked your something else, but why don't you just get the basic Etrex. You get one of those for under hundred bucks and it will lead you to the coords you entered.

What more do you want for a Newbie. You won't find a cache easier just because you have a color display.

I understand that it is always good to have more extras and a better unit, but sometimes that means you pay for a lot of stuff, you don't really need.

Just my 2 cents!

GermanSailor

No extra software is required. Garmin's Mapsource is free and there are other free options out there.

Where can I get mapsource if it doesn't come with the venture cx? I tried downloading from the "downloads" section of garmin's site, but it is an update and will not install without a previous version.