Noob looking for help buying a GPS

Craiger9er

Hi, my name's Craig and I'll be buying a Handheld GPS unit in the next month or so. I've got 200 bucks and that's it, so I'm hoping to find something for that. This is what I'm looking at using it for...

Main use is for fishing. I'd love to have the ability to load topo lake maps showing depth and so on (on the map, I know the gps isn't a depthfinder).

My wife would like to use it for geocaching

I'd like it to be able to tell me how far I've walked, avg speed, max speed....those type of things.

And, I'd like to have it for highway use to an extent (background map) I wouldn't use it much for this though.

Here are the one's I'm considering

Lowrance IFinder H20

Magellen Explorist 210

and

Garmin Etrex Legend

As of right now, I'm leaning towards the H20. After a while I'll probably upgrade to a better map, and lakes too. One other question I have is this...Is color that important? How about Altimeter for geocaching?

any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

Hi, my name's Craig and I'll be buying a Handheld GPS unit in the next month or so. I've got 200 bucks and that's it, so I'm hoping to find something for that. This is what I'm looking at using it for...

Main use is for fishing. I'd love to have the ability to load topo lake maps showing depth and so on (on the map, I know the gps isn't a depthfinder).

My wife would like to use it for geocaching

I'd like it to be able to tell me how far I've walked, avg speed, max speed....those type of things.

And, I'd like to have it for highway use to an extent (background map) I wouldn't use it much for this though.

Here are the one's I'm considering

Lowrance IFinder H20

Magellen Explorist 210

and

Garmin Etrex Legend

As of right now, I'm leaning towards the H20. After a while I'll probably upgrade to a better map, and lakes too. One other question I have is this...Is color that important? How about Altimeter for geocaching?

any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

Howdy......

Check this out...

http://www.tettamanti.com/gps.htm

Its from a post titled Getting the most from your GRSr...a primer for beginers (or something close to that!)

Vern... :laughing:

Looking at your criteria I think there are two good choices in your price range. The Lowrance H2O is one. If you get the Plus package it comes with topo maps, memory card and card reader included in the price. The H2O is a fine unit and has expandible memory.

One that you didn't mention is the Garmin eTrex Venture CX. With Garmin's $50 rebate its only $30 more than the Legend and has a color screen USB PC connection, expandible memory and does autorouting (turn by turn driving directions to an address or location) in your car. The Lowrance doesn't have this capability.

Though the Legend is a good entry level unit, it doesn't compare well to the others you mentioned, or the Venture CX. It has very limited map memory (8 megs) and has been around for 6+ years, ancient by GPS standards.

I personally wouldn't go with the eXplorist because of Magellan's abysmal rep for customer service. I'm not crazy about Magellan's user interface or the B/W displays either. Also, the previous 2 units (Venture CX and H20) have expandible memory. This is important if you want to add marine charts, fishing maps and road maps eventually. The eXplorist 210 has fixed memory (22 megs). Also Garmin and Lowrance have more options for marine mapping software than Magellan. Also the eXplorist has limited available screens so if you want stuff like walked, avg speed, max speed, etc.. you will have to rule it out

Color is a very nice feature to have but not a necessity. An electronic altimeter (which none of the mentioned units have) is not somethig that I've ever used even though my units have it.

Edited by briansnat

<snip>

One other question I have is this...Is color that important? How about Altimeter for geocaching?

Craig, if you want avg speed, max speed, and other trip computer type of info, you may not want to consider the eXplorist line. Its data screens are pretty limited. You can get avg speed and max speed on the map and compass pages, but there are only two data fields on each of those pages. Garmins have an entire page dedicated to this kind of info with many more customizable fields. The eXplorist is a good GPSr, but its lack of a page of customizable fields is one of its biggest criticisms.

Color is important if you plan on using maps of any kind. I use an eXplorist 400, which is grayscale. The map is readable, but it would be much easier to read in color. Especially when you're taking a quick glance.

As for altimeter, it's not at all important for geocaching in my opinion. Though I do live in a relatively flat area. A GPSr can use a barometric altimeter to give altitude or it can calculate altitude from GPS signals. A compass is important, but I am talking about a $10 baseplate compass. It'll still work when the batteries run out in your GPSr and doesn't need to be calibrated like the electronic compasses in the high-end GPS receivers.

Edit to add that I second briansnat's recommendation of the Venture Cx. Do note that the Venture Cx does not come with a microSD card or the mini-B USB cable. Chances are you may already have one or both lying around. If not, you can get them cheap.

Edited by geognerd
Edit to add that I second briansnat's recommendation of the Venture Cx. Do note that the Venture Cx does not come with a microSD card or the mini-B USB cable. Chances are you may already have one or both lying around. If not, you can get them cheap.

True. You have to buy them separate. Same for the Lowrance H20 unless you get the Plus package.

I have an iFinder Pro, which is basically the H20 but with an IPX2 waterproof rating, rather than the IPX7 which is what almost all the GPSrs now are. I don't do enough backwoods caching to need something that's fully waterproof and the Pro comes with a clear waterproof bag, if I should find myself crossing a stream or river.

The Pro is cheaper than the H20 b/c of that issue. I just recently purchased an iFinder Pro Plus off Amazon in like new condition, repackaged in the original packaging for $139. The Plus includes the maps and card reader as Briansnat mentioned.

I used to have an eXplorist 210 and the iFinder is much more to my liking - bigger display and much more intuitive menus.

I would check around and see if I could find an iFinder Pro Plus (or PHD or map and music).

Tigergps.com has the ifinder H20 Plus for $218 click

Thanks for all the great info. I've now narrowed it down to the H20, and the Venture CX. I have about 5 SD cards laying around, but no micro SD's, so that may sway my decision as well. There is one more clause to this, I have to buy it at Bass Pro Shops. I have 209.00 in gift cards for there, so I figured it use them towards this.

I'll also be wearing gloves somedays when I use this, as I do go ice fishing as well. I've heard the joystick on the Venture CX is a little hard to use so that's a little bit of a concern as well.

Thanks again for all the help

I'll also be wearing gloves somedays when I use this, as I do go ice fishing as well. I've heard the joystick on the Venture CX is a little hard to use so that's a little bit of a concern as well.

The eTrex units are very easy to use with gloves on as there are only a few, very large buttons. They joystick is not hard to use at all. Not sure where you heard that. If you can operate a mouse on a PC you can operate the joystick.

Ok, so I've narrowed it down to these two units, the H20, and the Venture CX. For some reason, and I can't shake it, my gut is leaning towards the Lowrance. I've also come to the conclusion that I really want a color screen. So now I'm looking at the H20C, which is 270, or the Venture CX which is 200 after rebate. If the prices were the same, I'd go with the H20C, just based on my gut feeling, but is the H20C worth 70 dollars more? What else would I get with that that I wouldn't with the Venture?

I see a larger screen, and a car plug. H20C has 16 satellites, but I haven't seen anything that says that's necessarily better. Can add an external antenna (I believe), and dual processors (not sure if Venture has this).

I only have 200 right now, but I don't need it before spring, and could save up the extra $$'s to get the H20C, but is it worth it?

am I overthinking this????

No, its a big purchase and one you will have to live with for quite a while.

Both are excellent units. The H20C is a bigger. If compact size is important then the Venture wins. If a larger screen is important, then the H20 wins.

Things also in the H20's favor:

Better reception than the Venture CX under heavy tree canopy. The Lowrance units are renown for their superior reception.

Jack for external antenna. Probably not important in most cases, but an external antenna can improve reception in difficult conditions

Things in the Venture CX's favor:

Ease of use. Garmin has an intuitive, easy to use interface that is icon based. Lowrance's user interface is sometimes confusing. Even many Lowrance enthusiasts agree on this point.

USB connection. Garmin connects to a PC via cable. Lowrance requires that you remove the batteries to get at the memory card, then remove the card and use a card reader to tranfer data. Not a deal breaker, but a PITA. You also need Lowrance's proprietary card reader to transfer map data.

Autorouting. The Venture CX can autoroute in your vehicle. This means it will give turn by turn directions to a destination or an address. With the proper software (City Navigator) Garmin also provides a database of over 5 million businesses and services. If you need to know where the nearest gas station, marina, hotel, campground, shopping mall, pharmacy, park, post office, restaurant (by type of cuisine), museum, etc... are, the Venture CX will tell you where and provide turn by turn directions there. A very useful feature.

Edited by briansnat

Ok, so I've narrowed it down to these two units, the H20, and the Venture CX. For some reason, and I can't shake it, my gut is leaning towards the Lowrance. I've also come to the conclusion that I really want a color screen. So now I'm looking at the H20C, which is 270, or the Venture CX which is 200 after rebate. If the prices were the same, I'd go with the H20C, just based on my gut feeling, but is the H20C worth 70 dollars more? What else would I get with that that I wouldn't with the Venture?

I see a larger screen, and a car plug. H20C has 16 satellites, but I haven't seen anything that says that's necessarily better. Can add an external antenna (I believe), and dual processors (not sure if Venture has this).

I only have 200 right now, but I don't need it before spring, and could save up the extra $$'s to get the H20C, but is it worth it?

Does the $270 for the H20C include the Plus package? If it does, then it's actually LESS expensive than purchasing the Venture CX and then having to purchase the maps as well.

Does the $270 for the H20C include the Plus package? If it does, then it's actually LESS expensive than purchasing the Venture CX and then having to purchase the maps as well.

No, the H20C is the color version, without the MapCreate. I also just saw the Venture CX for 200 (before rebate) on WalMarts website. I may have to go there, and use my gift cards for something else if that's the case. I figure at 150, it's closer to a no brainer. Spend 100 bucks on software and I'm still less than the H20C.....decisions, decisions

Anybody know how the lake maps or Garmin compare to Lowrance. I've always been under the impression that Lowrance's are better, but I could be wrong as I've never used either.

Edited by Craiger9er

I wouldn't be to concerned about the cost of a micro SD card either. I just bought a 512 meg card for $17.00. This was enough to load almost all of the US west of the Mississippi river. If you are only going to be in your home state a smaller card such as a 256 meg card would allow you to load the auto routing software and the topo software and still have room left over. Topo software could be quite beneficial for fishing and hunting as well as geocaching.

Anybody know how the lake maps or Garmin compare to Lowrance. I've always been under the impression that Lowrance's are better, but I could be wrong as I've never used either.

I've never used either, but Garmin has several offerings that would be useful for boating. Bluechart (which I think is more costal oriented), Rec Lakes & Fishing Hotspots, and Inland Lakes.

You can go to Garmin's website and use the Mapsource Map Viewer to look at these products and get a good idea as to what each package will show in your area.

Well, it's ordered, and will be in my hands most likely tomorrow, or Friday at the latest. I also picked up the city navigator software which will be more for the wife than for me, but am sure I'll use it as well. How big of a micro SD card will this thing take? I'm hoping for 1GB, and as long as this takes the standard usb to mini usb cable, I'll be set there too.

I've checked out Garmins fishing maps, and while they look pretty good, they're not as complete or as detailed as the Lowrance (Navionics). I decided to settle for less there, because I just couldn't justify the extra money for the Lowrance. When I buy a boat, I'll go with a Lowrance gps/fishfinder with all that, but that's a ways off.

Now, my wife and I have talked about geocaching as well, and now I need to start looking into that.

Thanks again for all the great input and help....