Legend cx VS. Venture cx

I'm in the middle of my search for my first GPS unit. I think I may have narrowed it down to the Legend cx and Venture cx. They both seem to be the same according to the specs. The Legend cx comes w/ the SD card and Trip & Waypoint Manager. Right now it has a rebate at REI that would put it at the same price as the Venture cx.

Any reason for me to not go w/ the Legend cx over the Venture cx?

Will I use that Trip and Waypoint Manager?

Thanks!! :laughing:

Well with the rebate it will also knock $50 off the Venture CX. Figure if you get the Legend CX you will proably replace the SD card with a more capacious one and if you have a digital camera or certain cell phones you probably already have the USB cable, so why pay extra for these?

As far as Trip and Waypoint Manager, it came with one of my units. I've had it about two years and I've never even put the disc in my computer. I have no idea what its capabilities are, but I'm happy using GSAK and EasyGPS and never saw the need to try Trip and Waypoint Mgr.

Well with the rebate it will also knock $50 off the Venture CX. Figure if you get the Legend CX you will proably replace the SD card with a more capacious one and if you have a digital camera or certain cell phones you probably already have the USB cable, so why pay extra for these?

As far as Trip and Waypoint Manager, it came with one of my units. I've had it about two years and I've never even put the disc in my computer. I have no idea what its capabilities are, but I'm happy using GSAK and EasyGPS and never saw the need to try Trip and Waypoint Mgr.

You already answered the question I asked in the other forum, thanks for reading my mind!!! :laughing:

Trip & Waypoint Manager is basically Mapsource without a specific map set - very handy for using and downloading 3rd party maps to the GPS, as well as all your Tracks, Routes, Waypoints (caches) etc. You can do it all using a number of different tools, or just use T&M + GSAK and you've got everything. :laughing:

What is T&M + GSAK?

With Mapsource you take a map from another source and use Mapsource to transfer it onto the GPS?

Oops, my apologies. T&M = Trips and Waypoint Manager i.e. Mapsource.

Yes, the method is to load a 3rd party or Garmin mapset into Mapsource then download the map tiles that you want into the GPS. You could also send maps to the GPS using Sendmap (freeware). Geocaching Swiss Army Knike is a handy database tool for cache information.

There are a number of tools you can use and may prefer. Personally I like a combo of Mapsource and GSAK to do everything I need. :laughing:

Cheers,

G.

I was looking at an online GPS retailer to get a quick gauge of the pricing of the Venture Cx versus the Legend Cx. The difference in price was $42. It could be more or less at other retailers. I wanted to put the value of the deal in perspective.

I looked at an online electronics retailer and they are selling a 1GB SanDisk microSD card for $37 plus $5 shipping. The Legend Cx ships with a 64MB card. So if you take the $42 (amazing how the numbers worked out) you save by purchasing the Venture and spend it on the microSD card, you'll have 16 times the storage capacity you would have gotten if you purchased the Legend Cx. As for the cable, if you don't already have one, this electronics retailer had a 10ft mini-B USB cable for $4.

In summary, the Venture Cx makes more sense financially.

I was looking at an online GPS retailer to get a quick gauge of the pricing of the Venture Cx versus the Legend Cx. The difference in price was $42. It could be more or less at other retailers. I wanted to put the value of the deal in perspective.

I looked at an online electronics retailer and they are selling a 1GB SanDisk microSD card for $37 plus $5 shipping. The Legend Cx ships with a 64MB card. So if you take the $42 (amazing how the numbers worked out) you save by purchasing the Venture and spend it on the microSD card, you'll have 16 times the storage capacity you would have gotten if you purchased the Legend Cx. As for the cable, if you don't already have one, this electronics retailer had a 10ft mini-B USB cable for $4.

In summary, the Venture Cx makes more sense financially.

Which retailer were you looking at? Have you used them before?

I too am looking at upgrading to a (probably) Venture Cx from my older B&W Legend. I know the Cx series uses the SiRF chip, but does it get better reception than the Legend? I don't expect it to recieve like the 60csx, but any improvement would be nice.

This is the one sticking point, as I'm already sold on the far greater memory and faster USB interface. Especially now that I can get the Venture Cx for the same price I paid for the Legend a year ago.

Red 90 is correct, the 60 CX, CS, and CSX use the Sirf chipset but the Legend CX Vista CX and Venture CX do not. These use the same chipset as in their predecessors, the Legend C and Vista C. Better reception than b&w legend, but no better than Legend C and Vista C, and not as good as the new 60 and 76 series.

Edited by GreatCanadian

Oops, my apologies. T&M = Trips and Waypoint Manager i.e. Mapsource.

Yes, the method is to load a 3rd party or Garmin mapset into Mapsource then download the map tiles that you want into the GPS. You could also send maps to the GPS using Sendmap (freeware). Geocaching Swiss Army Knike is a handy database tool for cache information.

There are a number of tools you can use and may prefer. Personally I like a combo of Mapsource and GSAK to do everything I need. :laughing:

Cheers,

G.

I thought I read that you can only put Garmin maps on their unit... And their map software is expensive. Any thoughts?